Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Moved up here to Breckenridge a little less than a year ago from central Ohio. Spent last summer getting settled in and adjusting, now getting ready to hit the fish this year. Used to fish for bass regularly back home but I realize, without a day trip to Denver, Trout will be my new daily hunt. So with that in mind I've got a few questions!

1. I plan right now to use spinning equipment for all my fishing. It's the method i know and love. I've noticed especially in Summit that Fly seems to be the only game in town. Will i draw any ire from fellow fisherman for my choice on the stream?

2. Along those same lines I'd love to find a tackle shop better than Wal-Mart and closer than BPS. Anyone know of a place?

3. Would love to hear what you all like to use with a spinning outfit lure wise and maybe some good spots around Summit to start out when the ice thaws?

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
How do we know you're not scum from Fishexploiter just simply trolling for free info?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome to the forum, now a few tips for trout fishing. Think lighter tackle than for bass, a medium light spinning rod with a reel set up for 6lb mono line is a good starting rig for trout. You can buy a second rod stamp with your fishing license and use two rods. If your are fishing in a lake you can bottom fish with bait on one pole and cast lures with the other. If you are bait fishing there are many baits you can use, I'll just list a few of the basics: salmon eggs, night crawlers and power bait(many colors available) Gulp eggs and creatures.
There are many lures to use but think smaller sizes in spoons (Daredevils, Thomas and Cast Masters are good) from 1/8 to 1/4 oz and silver and gold colors for a start. Spinners in smaller size also can work, Mepps and Rooster Tails etc. Small minnow baits like Rapala and H-D Trout can be effective at times.
I would spend some time going to the local waters and talk to the people fishing and see what information they would be willing to give out to a trout rookie. Most anglers will share at least some information with you if you are polite and friendly. I would stick to still water until you get to know the habits of trout a little better, and don't let fly fisherman bother you, you can fish however you want as long as it's legal.
The other tip is to read the regulations and check the water you are going to fish for special regulations, there are many restrictions in the state.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Please don't bait fish unless you plan on eating what you catch.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
More times than not a trout swallows bait. It's pretty tough to get out without hurting the fish. That's been my experience with bait. I haven't done it in about 12 years.

It should be ok to release trout caught with bait if it's lip hooked.

Just my opinion.

·
P I K E
10,163 Posts
Thank you very much for explaining that to the OP!!! :thumb: Very true!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'll also add... 90% of trout caught on bait will be fresh (within a year) white mushmeat stockers whereas 90% of those caught on fly/lures will be nice firm red meat fish... much better table fare imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for all the awesome answers! I assume when you guys say bait were talking powerbait, doughballs, live bait etc? I actually have never used anything other than artificial baits and lures for freshwater fishing so that's what i plan to use here. Personally i feel more engaged that way!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
What do you call artificial bait?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plastics: worms, craws, tubes, etc. I strictly do catch and release so if those are going to potentially harm the fish I am catching i will plan to steer clear!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
If they aren't scented they should be ok. If a trout thinks it's food it will swallow it. If they get fooled into taking lures, flies etc they will try to spit it out and it will get caught on the lip.

Compared to other fish like bass, trout are not very tough. It doesn't take a whole lot to kill them. Even if they swim away after being caught they can and do die if not handled right.

·
Registered
386 Posts
BlueJackets,
I too use the Rocket Launcher (Also called spinning rod.)when the fish aren't eating my Chicken Feathers. I've found over several years and many outings that spin fishing for me is best on the rivers. I have not fished a Colorado river that I haven't been successful on with one lure in particular.
The Vibrax minnow in Brown Trout colors. They make them in three sizes and all have worked well for me and very well on the Colorado, The Frying Pan, and the Arkansas.
http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/blue-fox-vibrax-minnow-spin?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions
On the lakes, especially the South Park Lakes, which are fairly close by I prefer metal, things like Kastmaster, Thomas Bouyants and Daredevles, many of the plug type jerk baits work quite well also.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Whadley! Thanks for all the tips! I am planning to do some shopping at BPS when i head down to denver later this month for a flight home. Will be sure to check out those blue foxes. What do you usually run rod and real wise?

Pete- I appreciate the heads up and will be sure to watch how i am handling them!

·
Registered
386 Posts
BlueJackets,
On the rivers I normally use a 5' or 5' 6" U/L rod coupled to a 1000 size reel that I spool with 1# 4# braid. I don't use a tippet and it hasn't affected my catch rate or bite rate, no swivel, just a snap tied to the braid. On the South Park Lakes where the fish generally run large, 15"-25" is fairly common, I bump up to a 6' one piece rod with a fast tip and a 2500 size reel spooled with 2# 6# braid, same set up to the lure.
I find that crushing the barbs really helps releasing the fish especially with some of the larger plugs that have multiple trebles.
Tight lines,
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Slayerfish. Never heard of a site called fish exploiter but to answer your question I suppose I have no way to prove I'm not from there.

@Whadleyco: Awesome thanks for the info! I had planned to probably go for a 5'6" so it would be easy to break down and put in my hiking pack!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I spent some time looking for this mystery website since coming back to the forum and wondering if that had anything to do with the decline here (thinking maybe people ventured elsewhere in my decade absence)

With that, I could only assume that the references were pertaining to FishExploiter.com

Kind of hard to determine from navigating the site what the big stink about it is? Seems like a decent place for info. Even saw Bernie on there, and made me think of my ice rod stashed someplace in the Upper Peninsula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts