Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
BlueJackets,
I too use the Rocket Launcher (Also called spinning rod.)when the fish aren't eating my Chicken Feathers. I've found over several years and many outings that spin fishing for me is best on the rivers. I have not fished a Colorado river that I haven't been successful on with one lure in particular.
The Vibrax minnow in Brown Trout colors. They make them in three sizes and all have worked well for me and very well on the Colorado, The Frying Pan, and the Arkansas.
http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/blue-fox-vibrax-minnow-spin?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions
On the lakes, especially the South Park Lakes, which are fairly close by I prefer metal, things like Kastmaster, Thomas Bouyants and Daredevles, many of the plug type jerk baits work quite well also.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Bill

· Registered
386 Posts
BlueJackets,
On the rivers I normally use a 5' or 5' 6" U/L rod coupled to a 1000 size reel that I spool with 1# 4# braid. I don't use a tippet and it hasn't affected my catch rate or bite rate, no swivel, just a snap tied to the braid. On the South Park Lakes where the fish generally run large, 15"-25" is fairly common, I bump up to a 6' one piece rod with a fast tip and a 2500 size reel spooled with 2# 6# braid, same set up to the lure.
I find that crushing the barbs really helps releasing the fish especially with some of the larger plugs that have multiple trebles.
Tight lines,
Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.