Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
6,437 Posts
I spent some time looking for this mystery website since coming back to the forum and wondering if that had anything to do with the decline here (thinking maybe people ventured elsewhere in my decade absence)

With that, I could only assume that the references were pertaining to FishExplorer.com

Kind of hard to determine from navigating the site what the big stink about it is? Seems like a decent place for info. Even saw Bernie on there, and made me think of my ice rod stashed someplace in the Upper Peninsula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bernie's in "the industry" and makes his living off talking about fishing and getting exposure, he should be everywhere.

In the early days of Fish'Sploiter, the owner came over here and was like "check out this site,this may be a cool place, what you think?"

And when I put my honest two cents out here, that I felt the site was only there to exploit users for info rather than being a valid exchange of data place, I got a nasty PM from the poster who then identified himself as the owner of fishexplorer and asked me to take my defamatory post down because it's hurting him.

Then there was the posts on his site where he laid it out, if you don't post, the site dies....

then if you criticize someone, you get banned or restricted. I even came up with the tagline "Fishexploiterer, we want your info, but we don't want you" because it was how they seriously operated that site, no debate, just fishing reports and lake status updates and helping others catch fish, outside of that, you aren't invited to share thoughts or nothing.

So it we dubbed it FishExploiter or 'Sploiter.....And that Dave guy Matt had running the place was a disease of the worst kind too. It only got worse from there, you had to pay for your own data when his site wasn't performing on the ad revenue......

The site has a history with many of us......So we recognize the inate traits of a 'Sploiter when they come into our home....

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Bernie's in "the industry" and makes his living off talking about fishing and getting exposure, he should be everywhere.

In the early days of Fish'Sploiter, the owner came over here and was like "check out this site,this may be a cool place, what you think?"

And when I put my honest two cents out here, that I felt the site was only there to exploit users for info rather than being a valid exchange of data place, I got a nasty PM from the poster who then identified himself as the owner of fishexplorer and asked me to take my defamatory post down because it's hurting him.

Then there was the posts on his site where he laid it out, if you don't post, the site dies....

then if you criticize someone, you get banned or restricted. I even came up with the tagline "Fishexplorer, we want your info, but we don't want you" because it was how they seriously operated that site, no debate, just fishing reports and lake status updates and helping others catch fish, outside of that, you aren't invited to share thoughts or nothing.

So it we dubbed it FishExploiter or 'Sploiter.....And that Dave guy Matt had running the place was a disease of the worst kind too. It only got worse from there, you had to pay for your own data when his site wasn't performing on the ad revenue......

The site has a history with many of us......So we recognize the inate traits of a 'Sploiter when they come into our home....
Interesting info, thank you for sharing. I guess I like the concept of an easy place to find accessible info on lakes and reports, and it would save time filtering thousands of posts with uninformative information. This is especially true for me as I am always making out of state trips and it can be a real struggle to find the most basic of feedback. But I also agree that a site with that format takes some of the uniqueness away from a forum, if a forum is what their goal was.

Other than what you shared, I really know no other information about the other site. I started coming here after meeting Don B and never went anywhere else (even WSA when I moved from Denver to GJ...that used to be the real competition back in the good ole days)

Just a little unfortunate that the amount of valuable posts from our members here has declined significantly over my 9 years away. Especially since the amount of general online internet users has spiked during this time along with everyone's access via mobile devices (back then, Blackberry was the elite phone)...but I still very much enjoy seeing the quality of fish coming out of CO and the beautiful back drops in the pictures, which will keep me lurking.

· Registered
6,437 Posts
Interesting info, thank you for sharing. I guess I like the concept of an easy place to find accessible info on lakes and reports, and it would save time filtering thousands of posts with uninformative information. This is especially true for me as I am always making out of state trips and it can be a real struggle to find the most basic of feedback. But I also agree that a site with that format takes some of the uniqueness away from a forum, if a forum is what their goal was.

Other than what you shared, I really know no other information about the other site. I started coming here after meeting Don B and never went anywhere else (even WSA when I moved from Denver to GJ...that used to be the real competition back in the good ole days)

Just a little unfortunate that the amount of valuable posts from our members here has declined significantly over my 9 years away. Especially since the amount of general online internet users has spiked during this time along with everyone's access via mobile devices (back then, Blackberry was the elite phone)...but I still very much enjoy seeing the quality of fish coming out of CO and the beautiful back drops in the pictures, which will keep me lurking.
There's only so much water, I've been dumb in my early days on here and had some small ponds whored out by folks who had never met me but saw my information about the ponds on here....I'm not the only one who has dealt with seeing a bunch of internet report chasers blowing spots up.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey everyone, I did not know there was such a site and I sincerely apolgize if I came across as someone just fishing for information. (Couldn’t help myself with that pun.) My main goal from this thread was to introduce myself and get some more general tackle information than to weed out secret spots! Those are for me to find for myself! I am happy to report I ended up making the trek down to BPS the other day and picked up a new outfit, line and some lures based on your recommendations. Can’t wait to hit the water!

· Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the forum, now a few tips for trout fishing. Think lighter tackle than for bass, a medium light spinning rod with a reel set up for 6lb mono line is a good starting rig for trout. You can buy a second rod stamp with your fishing license and use two rods. If your are fishing in a lake you can bottom fish with bait on one pole and cast lures with the other. If you are bait fishing there are many baits you can use, I'll just list a few of the basics: salmon eggs, night crawlers and power bait(many colors available) Gulp eggs and creatures.
There are many lures to use but think smaller sizes in spoons (Daredevils, Thomas and Cast Masters are good) from 1/8 to 1/4 oz and silver and gold colors for a start. Spinners in smaller size also can work, Mepps and Rooster Tails etc. Small minnow baits like Rapala and H-D Trout can be effective at times.
I would spend some time going to the local waters and talk to the people fishing and see what information they would be willing to give out to a trout rookie. Most anglers will share at least some information with you if you are polite and friendly. I would stick to still water until you get to know the habits of trout a little better, and don't let fly fisherman bother you, you can fish however you want as long as it's legal.
The other tip is to read the regulations and check the water you are going to fish for special regulations, there are many restrictions in the state.
Thanks for your sharing.

· Registered
4,885 Posts
I see the same thing on hunting forums. Nobody wants to do the hunting part anymore. All they want is where should they hunt. You won't get that from me but there's always some idiot that will tell them. Then the same idiot will whine that his secret spot is crowded now. Duh!

So, where should I fish? No, seriously. Got any hot spots?

· Registered
16 Posts
Oh, sorry -- There's the House Rock Kitchen on Main Street, which we were told was named after House Rock, a big boulder in the Ark a bit north of town. I think it's approximately below the end of CR304, downstream of Hop Gulch, where that railroad bridge used to be.

We spent several days at Liars Lodge a couple of years ago, and fishing that part of the stream was quite nice (although House Rock isn't necessarily a good spot, in reality). HPH

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Oh ok. I was trying to think of a fishing spot named House Rock. I know nothing about it. I never eat out. I'm too cheap........not true. I'm too poor.

Eating out to me is bringing my lunch. I do that a lot. :smile:

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Spend some time south of Breck in South Park. 11-mile reservoir, Spinney Mountain Reservoir, and Antero Res. are great bodies of water with some big trout. 11-Mile and Spinney have good numbers of Northern Pike too. The South Platte river in South Park can be fun to fish too. Just know the regulations in terms of fly and lure only, or bait allowed, bag and possession limits etc. As long as you are within the regs, don't worry about what others are doing in terms of fly fishing or spin fishing. Give people space, be courteous, and have fun. Over time you will find places you like to fish and you will keep going back. Within 100 miles of Breck, you have years and years of exploring fishy spots.

· Registered
44 Posts

· Registered
463 Posts
Awesome Blue Jackets! You mentioned using plastics... I have good luck for trout on tube jigs. There are times when nothing else seems to trigger them so it is worth keeping a few in your box. I have had the most luck on white, and crawfish colors in a variety of sizes up to 4 inches. If your going for lake trout, you can throw even bigger tubes.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.