Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to ice fishing. Can anyone tell me if there is a lake the
rents ice shacks, ice augers and is 2 - 2 1/2 hrs from Denver?
Prefer trout, laker fishing.
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know of any places that rent the equipment you are asking about but suggest that you keep a watch on the site for guys who are making a trip and would be happy to let you share the ride. Should be offers as soon as we start to see safe ice. As far as where to go, I suggest you purchase a copy of a set of maps called, "Colorado and Wyoming Lake Maps". They have a web site, www.fishmap.com. Good luck and look forward to hearing how you do.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Buy a good hand auger (strikemaster lazer for example) for 79.99 or a cheap hand auger for $39.99. Don't buy a used one unless you replace the blades or have them sharpened.
Even if you have to drill through 12-20 inches of solid ice, it isn't that bad to pop a couple holes with a hand auger.

Shelter--don't need one--wear many layers, hat, gloves, etc. and just fish outside. Also, check the weather, don't go when it's going to be a blizzard. ;) Then get some kind of a chair or bucket to sit on, and sit back to the wind :) Wool socks and good boots are the key really.

If you really need a shelter, just buy a used one. You can find one used for less than $100. My first season, I spent $100 on a hand auger and shelter. Still have both--they sit in the garage next to my $450 auger and $250 shelter :)

If you must insist on renting, I will rent my old shelter and hand auger to you for $300 for the season ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Fished for a decade with a 5 gallon bucket and a hand auger...in fact, sometimes i think i enjoyed ice-fihing more then...dress warm in layers and you will catch more fish than you can know!

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
If you are going to hand crank...get a six inch auger...you will hate an eight and not move as often as you need to as a result...most fish you catch will fit...Bill Willcox has hard sided shelters he rents at Lake John Lodge at Lake John although it is closer to 3 hours away...he will drill the holes for you when he positions the shelter...we rent it every year for the lake john tourney if we want to fish at night or the weather is totally horrible...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm like you Trout, this is going to be my first year as well and I'm dying to get out there. I've been in Kuwait for two years so I'm more than ready to brush the dust off and get back at it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I do have a question about all this ice fishing - do you guys buy topological maps of the lake or just go by past experience when it comes to knowing where to drill your holes? You can read a lake pretty good when there is no ice on it some I'm just curious on how you determine where to fish.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
It depends on what you are fishing for...where and what are you after...do you have a target lake or species?...

·
Registered
370 Posts
no not really. I'm still trying to figure out everything I need to know and try to throw some tricks-of-the-trade in there as well.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I fished blind for a while, and it works. But my catch rates has increased like crazy since I got my Marcum. I still use a hand auger and dont have a shelter though. ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Abbner said:
I'm not sure what a Marcum is but I will here in about 10 minutes. Thanks for tip Orion.
:D Yup. A Marcum is a flasher (sonar/fish finder), but it's just one of many brands. Many, many people like Vexilars. I went with a Marcum VX-1 because it was cheap, around $200 and has the bottom zoom capability which is sweet! The Lowest Vexilar with the zoom is the 18 if I'm not mistaken, and that's like $400 I think.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
lucky7 said:
Sometimes i feel like i enjoyed ice fishing most when i just sat on the 5 gallon bucket and fished blind...i say just go out and give it shot... you will catch fish!
I still haul a 5 gallon bucket. Said 5 gallon bucket fits my Vex, 6 or 7 rods, all my lures and live bait and a ton more. :D

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
You don't need allot as mentioned to catch fish. I would go give it a try and make sure its your thing then start adding the gear, which to me is almost as fun as actually ice fishing :). Boy I really do have a problem buying all this crap for ice fishing but oh well its only money right ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts