Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having a hard time missing the storms when I can actually get away from work, but got to schedule 5 days straight off work. Took the kids out a couple times to catch some bream and crappie and my oldest caught his first fish on artificial that wasn't a crankbait that he was just reeling back in. Caught it off of a Gulp! Alive! cricket under a fixed float. He is almost as proud as I am!

I did finally get to try out the swim jigs I ordered this Spring. Ordered a batch of Northstar Swim Jigs and a bunch of different trailers to try out. Well, I figured that the bluegills should be spawning around this weeks full moon so I threw a gill pattern. Had to wait in the Jeep for over half an hour for the storm to pass and it was still raining, but got to fish enough in the light rain for about an hour to catch 5 before the next line of storms fired up (about an hour). Didn't take pics of all, but the smallest was 12" and largest was over 2lb (the one who has just the jighead sticking out; 4" paddle tail with a 1/4oz swim jig). For me it always builds my confidence to catch even small bass on a new lure/technique, so I was happy with whatever bites I got. Good experience all the way around

BTW, you guys helped me to figure out what "swimming grub" rod to get a year or so ago. I finally ended up with a St Croix Rage spinning rod 6'10" MLXF when they went on clearance on the St Croix site. Great deal for the same blank used in the Avid series. It's pretty much the same blank you guys suggested in the beginning. I took the long way around, but finally got there and it is a Marvel. Been doing pretty good with it for bass. Don't normally take my phone on the canoe so don't have pics of the grub and tube fish I've caught on it, but it definitely does the job well! Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do you like the recoil guides on the rage? I've heard they can be loud. I've built on a couple st Croix blanks and I love them. Also, 6'10'' ML and XF, that sounds like one great handling rod.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guides are great for me. I've only used braid a handful of times with this rod, but they have behaved themselves well. The rod is a beast. Glad the guys here put me onto the MLXF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts