Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone! getting out of the navy and will be moving to colorado here in a month and a half-ish. swapping my saltwater rigs for freshwater. wondering what i can expect under the water as far as fish types and if limits change from region to region of colorado.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Lurkeradvice lmao ;D

Tikee, glad to have you aboard. My suggestion would be to log on and actually post some stuff so people can see where you are coming from. A lot of us are uncomfortable with sharing our experiences on the wild west that is the internet (myself included) but are more willing to dish the goods in personal messages (PM's) to folks we are comfortable with.

Cheers man.

Shaun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the link! very informative. im coming from florida, been fishing tarpin, grouper, redfish, stingrays(profile pic ;D ), sharks, blues, and more croaker then i can count lol. my wife has family in the denver area and thats where we are moving to.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
tikee torch said:
whats up everyone! getting out of the navy and will be moving to colorado here in a month and a half-ish. swapping my saltwater rigs for freshwater. wondering what i can expect under the water as far as fish types and if limits change from region to region of colorado.
Welcome to the site and thanks for your service. Up at the top it lists all or most of the fish in Colorado. Bass, Walleye and trout (lake trout, brown, Brooke, and rainbows). You can fly fish in a very nice setting in the mountains or chase Wiper (stripped bass+whitebass), walleye and large and small mouth, on the plains. Best bet is fishing close to home book, the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife or whatever the new name is, has all the regs and a lot of useful info. What saltwater fishing did you do?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Welcome to the site and thanks for your service. Just curious, what is your rate? I was a Sonar Technician Submarines on the USS Ohio (SSBN 726)

Look forward to hearing more from you and welcoming you to the metro area. Give us a little more information about what you want to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my rate is AD2(AW), 8 years in norfolk virginia, 1 year in afghanistan, 2 years in mayport fl. i fish big fish, some over 200 pounds like tarpin, stingrays and sharks, but mostly grouper, redfish, croaker, and anything really that you can catch surf fishing or off a jetti even pulled in a few crabs that just wouldnt let go lol. i just love to fish so i dont really care what i catch. i will definatly miss catching monster fish though. that stingray in my profile pic took 4 of us 3 hours to pull in.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Welcome to the site...people around here will be less likely to be helpful when the first question is how many fish can you keep...smallie samwiches are an especially touchy topic...right after trophy laker kabobs...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Good luck man, slow learning curve in CO.
Get ready for many dissapointing days on the water.
On the upside once you do figure it out and get onto a hot bite, it makes the worthless hours that much more worthwhile.

Biggest transition will be downsizing your line between 4-10lb, and fishing it accordingly.
Lots of decent fishing here, just have to put in the time and patience.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Welcome to the forum, dude.

Compared to florida, you are gonna be bummed on life with fishing here, but as a few said... There's big fish to be had if you put in time and patience. If not, there's lots of ponds and lakes here with trout and bass. Plus places like western nebraska and the good fishing holes in wyoming are 3 to 4 hours away from denver. Get a fishing close to home book, and study it. lots and lots of good ponds and lakes in there.

And when you get out here and fish, post some reports!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
me talking about limits was more on size limits like here there are fish that have to be bigger than but smaller than. there are a number of fish with upper and lower size limits. i was wondering if freshwater was the same way. now that i read what i wrote i can see that i wasnt descriptive enough. and thanks for the welcomes everyone :)

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Tikee,

A lot of the lakes here have a minimum size limit for black bass, 15 inches. Most big reservoirs also have a minimum size limit for walleye.. which range from 15 to 18 inches depending on the lake. Usually at the entrance to the reservoir, they have the size limits posted for all to see. Also get a dow booklet ( you can get one at walmart in their sporting goods section) and it lists the regs at all lakes. Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts