Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on any streams within a 2 hour drive of Colorado Springs? I have never took my fly pole out on a river/stream before. I would really prefer for it to be back country, no one anywhere type of stream. Like I said I have never fished a river or stream and not sure how it works? Can you fish the whole section, go where you wish?

Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
The South Platte and Arkansas are the two main rivers within 2hr drive of the COSprings. I use a CO Gazetter map and google maps in looking for places off the beaten path. You can't fish steams that flow through private land (unless you float through without touching bottom) and the land owners own the streambed to mid-stream.

It's worth noting to check on any special regulations (catch & release only, fly or lure only, etc.) on a stream before you go as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look over on Google maps and was looking at the S. Platte below Eleven Mile. It looks like the road runs along the river in the canyon. It looks to be a 8-10 mile stretch. I am sure this area is popular, is it possible to get away from anyone around that area?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Schlabin said:
I took a look over on Google maps and was looking at the S. Platte below Eleven Mile. It looks like the road runs along the river in the canyon. It looks to be a 8-10 mile stretch. I am sure this area is popular, is it possible to get away from anyone around that area?
Yes it is.

If you turn off right Highway 24 and head toward Tarryall on CR 77, you can take the first right turn off 77 and drive past Happy Meadows Campground close to the the locked Sportsmen's Paradise gate. You can park at the South Platte trailhead and hike two miles around Sportsmen's Paradise.

That'll get you away from just about everyone except the Sportsmen's Paradise property owners, who just drive to the end of the enclave to get to the same spot you hiked two miles to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts