Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently moved to Broomfield from Flagstaff. I have lived in Arizona most of my life but am no stranger to unspoiled public water.

I am looking for a place to wet a line, I have been been doing some research. Cheeseman, deckers, the platte. I am no stranger to fishing in Southern Colorado but this part of the state is a mystery to me, and because there is so much water it is almost overwhelming.

I am considering making a drive out to the Blue River this weekend. I am more of a quality of experience over quantity type. Any quiet water within an hour or two driver from the Denver area? Some place where I can fish and not be near to many folks? Im not so much after fish but a good fair chase and some quite.

I appreciate any time anyone is willing to take to point me in a general direction, Im not looking for your secret spot or anything.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey, I am in Broomfield as well. I would be happy to share some great out of the way spots not too far from home.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you go to the Blue River, please post your results. I've been wanting to try that river myself.

Deckers is fun, but you'll be hard pressed to find solitude there. I'd definitely check out Cheesman if you're up for the hike; it's amazingly beautiful. 11 mile canyon is good too and although it does get traffic in my experience it's nothing like Deckers, especially if you get up there during the week.

I'm down in the Springs, so hopefully some Denver locals can point you in other directions closer to your location.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Poudre Canyon fort collins...

·
Registered
305 Posts
No fish up north...

All the rivers you named are great and fun to fish but if you are looking for solitude you need to time your outings during week days.

Golden, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, Fort Collins are all in a river drainage path. Drive up 'em, check 'em out, pull over and fish.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Most of the tailwaters are going to be crowded and even more so as summer comes.
If you want solitude you will have to get high.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, since Bugz let the cat out of the bag....

Caught my first one of the season last night. Crawfish pattern that I promptly lost 3 casts later.

I love catching these guys on a 3 wt, they feel like 5 pounders!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
NICE FC!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Well, since Bugz let the cat out of the bag....

Caught my first one of the season last night. Crawfish pattern that I promptly lost 3 casts later.

I love catching these guys on a 3 wt, they feel like 5 pounders!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I know those floating twigs! Hotspotter! lol

I went for the grand slam yesterday near my house. Carp, bass, bluegill, sunfish, perch, crappie, Koi brown and rainbow trout (I am leaving the catfish out of it since I am flyfishing.. I did get the bass, green sunfish, bluegill and crappie.... I also go
t some close looks by the carp and Koi.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
and because there is so much water it is almost overwhelming.

LOL :D:D:D:rofl::laugh::pound:

Oh, wait...never mind. You're from AZ.

Seriously though, pretty much everything that has been suggested. If you're feeling adventurous and want some solitude, head north. Wyoming is a trout loving state. With not much population. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ralpert would be a great guy to connect with. I had the pleasure last week and he is very knowledgable about fishing and the area. Great guy to spend the day with.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know those floating twigs! Hotspotter! lol

I went for the grand slam yesterday near my house. Carp, bass, bluegill, sunfish, perch, crappie, Koi brown and rainbow trout (I am leaving the catfish out of it since I am flyfishing.. I did get the bass, green sunfish, bluegill and crappie.... I also go
t some close looks by the carp and Koi.
You want Koi ????????????????

Then you would be most welcome down here, where they are so much of a pest they are deemed to be a "compulsory kill" species, using whatever method you fancy short of nuclear explosion. An annual weekend bow hunters event in one area alone, accounted for 17 tonnes recently without making a dent in their population.

http://nzbowhunters.co.nz/public_html/NEW2012/82-2/koi-carp-the-classic/

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If it swims I am at least moderately interested:). When it comes to fly fishing for Koi....... We are drifting off into the unknown. I like the sound of that.

To Paraphrase John Gierach that is..

Something to mark off the list, to say I have done it. Besides on the nice days now the Poudre is crowded while the Koi pond is empty.... But i did make some new friends weds at the carp pond that were stoked on the idea and joined me after we put down all the carp. So i guess i am not the only weirdo..

So far we have tried midges, chironomids, buggers, meyers micro leach, dries with droppers , nymphs... A bow would be much easier! But that is not the point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I made my way out near or heeley or something on the blue. No fish but flows weren't too bad. Water was clear. Didn't catch any fish. I pulled over after the bridge after the heeney hiney sign.

It was a good time until I fell off the most slippery rock in Colorsdo and landed hand and ass in what was once elk poop but at this point more closely resembled sun melted Hershey's kisses.

Not too many folks at any of the pullouts up until that point. Water wasn't too cold either.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It was a good time until I fell off the most slippery rock in Colorsdo and landed hand and ass in what was once elk poop but at this point more closely resembled sun melted Hershey's kisses.
If you had a joint in the other hand, then congratulations you've been properly christened; welcome to Colorado ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts