Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just moved to the springs and looking forward to some fishing. I grew up in CA, spent the last decade in GA and did lots of fishing in the FL/TN/GA areas so used to the bigguns, so chasing trout will be a new tactic I would like to learn.

I have a boat (16' runabout with 30HP and trolling motor) and plan to hit up the lakes to the west for some pike to start, but looking for some help and a community of fishers to learn Fly Fishing and pickup a few friends.

I have a low end setup, but need some help with the Flies I should start with. I noticed a few variety packs on amazon and the like, but would like to know if there are a few specifics I should focus on for this region. Any help would be great, and if anyone needs a rookie tag along in the local lakes let me know, I'll do everythign I can to learn the techniques. I'm an avid fisher in fresh and salt but fly fishing is a new adventure that I'm excited to learn.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Stop by the local fly shop where you plan to fish. They will probably be the best source to point you in the right direction and by the flies from them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stop by the local fly shop where you plan to fish. They will probably be the best source to point you in the right direction and by the flies from them.
I am with dallasdb on this one. The local shops are great and the guys in bass pro are always dying for people to talk to. Sometimes I go in there just to chat with the workers and pick up a few tricks. If you tell them specifically when and where you want to fish they can recommend the best flies for you.

Welcome to the Springs! It's a beautiful place.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Welcome.. while I too think the fly shops are a good source, I would post up in the fly fishing section, those geeks (me) love to talk shop.

I am a bit of a minimalist anymore. I use about 6 patterns most everywhere I fish in CO for trout, depending on time of year, etc. The following are for nymph fishing.

To start, eggs and worms are deadly almost all year on freestone rivers and tailwaters. I prefer peg eggs (glass) and a depth charger worm or a regular san juan worm...

Next, you need copper johns in chartreuse and red. I would suggest size 14-18 and I like tungsten on these because they are usually my weight.

Emergers like a Barr Emerger or a bent shank Pheasant tail are simply a must... I also like these in bright green.

In winter, little midges are great.. red, green, gray and another dose of red lol.

Last, I would suggest having gray, olive and black RS2s.

I know there are lots of folks that will insist that there is more to it, but 95% of my fishing is done with one of those flies.

For top water, I usually use stimulators in orange or brown or whatever... or terrestrials... I am not a huge tiny dry fly fisherman, so the parachutes are usually not my fav.

THE BEST TIP ANYONE CAN GIVE YOU.. LISTEN IF YOU ARE A LEARNER;

Depth when fly fishing is far more important than flies. change the amount of weight you use 3-5 times before you change flies. Learn to control depth and find the depth of the fish. Presentation is everything and unless it's done at the right depth, it's pretty worthless.

Have fun, you have a TON of area to fish and so much to learn.. I envy that position.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the tips. I have peak fly shop saved on my map but I'm staying with family so house hunting has taken up the bulk of my time thus far (we got here sunday). I thought I'd try to learn as much as I can, and more importantly, make some local friends, the forums in GA were a huge resource for me in my conquests there.
Fly fishing seems so intimidating from the outside, but hopefully I can start small and make some progress over the next few years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and Oyey, any time you want to share part of this journey with me feel free to tag along, I would love to be lauged at by a seasoned fly fisherman.

Do they have any nicknames for fly fishermen? seems like such a long and proper term.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oyey is pretty much on with the trout stuff, but you don't need to limit yourself to trout. All fish are better with a fly rod. I get everything on the long rod...Walleye, bass, northerns,etc. Nothing like hooking up with a wiper on one.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Go to Anglers Covey, good guys there...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bradley_G: welcome to the area!

My $0.02 in addition to what the others have said:
It might be helpful for you to ask for recommended flies based on where/what you are targeting. For example, while an "RS2" may be good all around fly for many rivers/streams around here, it may not necessary be the best fly for lake fishing pike.

As you fish around you'll gather flies and also better understand when to use what and various ways to fish/present it.

And obviously, use your google-foo to do a little up-front research.

I hope you enjoy the area; it has a lot to offer!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to fish pike on spinning gear, sort of a transition from the big fish of the south to the smaller ones of CO, then get into the FLY fishing for trout and eventually everything.

Once we get settled with the house I plan to hit it pretty hard and see what its like in the new landscape.

Thank you all for the replies.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Once we get settled with the house
Good luck with your house hunt.

We've also been (prematurely) looking at areas/houses in anticipation of a purchase early next year (N/NE side of town mainly). Hopefully the rates don't go up much before that time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck with your house hunt.

We've also been (prematurely) looking at areas/houses in anticipation of a purchase early next year (N/NE side of town mainly). Hopefully the rates don't go up much before that time.
not a lot of price range up here, we are moving in that area also. maybe our new president can help with the prices.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts