Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I just moved up here from NW Wyoming about a year ago, the only fish in my entire county was various species of trout. as much as i do enjoy trout fishing, thats not what im interested in at the moment. I would still be fishing right now if i had brought my ice gear but i didnt have the room when i moved up here. I live around the Longmont area, does anybody know of any decent places around here? ive been to quite a few, my whole summer was built around poundin' the ground looking for a good fishin spot when i wasnt working. Ive caught a couple largemouth here and a few crappie there, but with my lack of knowledge of any other fish species other than trout, i struggled. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Lots of options dude. Fishing close to home book.... Sportsmans warehouse and dicks will have em. From there you'll find out you are in a pretty sick location for fishing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, let me rephrase. I did a lot of fishing at a lot of places this summer and I did catch a lot of fish, but it was never consistent. I didnt know enough about these warm water species for my brain to see a pattern. Hell, half the time I caught something I had no idea what it was (species pages in the fishing regs helped a lot on that one) and I'm sure I'm asking for a lot of info but what works good for around here? Im willing to answer any trout related questions for answers on bass or walleye fishing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Majority of guys who have quality advice for walleye, are probably also good trout fisherman who aren't looking to trade walleye advice for trout advice. Tube jigs will catch most species in the state, it's all about the presentation. When it comes to bass, crawdawd imitations and soft jerkbaits are a good start

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda figured as much. Im not trying to discredit anybody on here, i just feel like im asking for something and giving nothing in return so i figured i would throw that out. im essentially asking about any species, not asking for honey holes or top notch baits/lures, im just asking a blanket question and expecting a blanket response, not "oh i would fish here and use this lure at this time of day". I dont even ask my best friends for that kind of information, they tell me if they want me to know. The fish i have caught were more off of my knowledge of fishing in general rather than my knowledge of the species i am fishing for. In my opinion the way you present your bait is more important than what you use. Any and every piece of advice from any species would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fly fish only so I don't know how much of a help I could be. I also live in Longmont but most of the time I'm fishing in rivers and streams for trout.

Warmwater fishing, at least for bass and panfish, is really easy....at least for me. There are plenty of lakes and ponds in the area for bass and panfish. In fact, almost any body of water in the area will have bass and panfish. Small streamers and even nymphs will work if you're fly fishing. Poppers on the surface will also do the job.

Walleye seem to be more difficult. Carter is probably the best place for Walleye that I've come across. Boyd lake is another good spot.

If carp interest you at all, you're in a great place. Tons of great carp fisheries near Longmont. If you're a catch and keep guy then you probably don't care. But in terms of difficulty to catch, fight, and size....carp blow away walleye, bass, and panfish. Macintosh Lake right in Longmont is a great spot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly i fished for everything this summer but i had one day that turned things around. My dad and I were on a small pond that i noticed has been mentioned on here once or twice. We had just bought a little 12' john boat with a minn kota endura max and we were puttin' through the pond pitching small lures under the overhang, just getting a feel for the pond. Caught a couple crappie, a few small bass, and then WHAM! felt like a big fish, maybe a decent largemouth but it was a pike. Niether of us knew there were pike in this pond. My dad called them biter fish all day because he picked it up by its mouth(not knowing what it was at first) and it drew blood. They weren't that big at all, but i caught 6 or 7 that day, and a couple crappie and bass. I have pictures but they are not worth embarassing myself on here. My dad caught about the same. This spring, that's what im targeting. Pike and Tiger Muskie. Surely i will fish for everything else but Ive had my mind set that that will be my first trip out just after ice out. I feel like im babbling, i wouldnt be on here if i had brought my ice gear up from Wy but here i am going on about nothing....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cotter, fly fishing is by far my favorite way to catch trout. I will fish day in and day out on a lake with a spinnin rod and not catch much. I break out the fly rod and catch fish allllll day long. I have a fly pole in the truck right now, i take it everywhere with me. Even though i am looking to fish for, well, basically everything else, i would go fly fishing at the blink of an eye. I see all of these ponds and lakes that i fish in but i struggle with fly fishing because unlike wyoming there is little to no accessible river areas that im aware of. The last time i went out fishing, Between my son, my dad and i we caught over 50 trout over 12", not fly fishing though. I will send you a PM and we can talk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cotter, fly fishing is by far my favorite way to catch trout. I will fish day in and day out on a lake with a spinnin rod and not catch much. I break out the fly rod and catch fish allllll day long. I have a fly pole in the truck right now, i take it everywhere with me. Even though i am looking to fish for, well, basically everything else, i would go fly fishing at the blink of an eye. I see all of these ponds and lakes that i fish in but i struggle with fly fishing because unlike wyoming there is little to no accessible river areas that im aware of. The last time i went out fishing, Between my son, my dad and i we caught over 50 trout over 12", not fly fishing though. I will send you a PM and we can talk.
I'm not sure where you've been looking, but there are thousands of miles of public river and stream in this state. If you want REAL trout fishing (not stockers from lakes and ponds) you'll need to head west a bit and explore. The streams around Longmont don't hold trout. If you're a trout enthusiast like I am, this state is pretty much paradise. Tons of remote high mountain creeks, lakes, and beaver ponds. Great freestone rivers and tailwaters that can produce some impressive specimens, not to mention some great stillwater trout fishing at places like Antero, Spinney, Elevenmile, or Delaney Buttes.

Some good tailwaters (only rivers available this time of year for the most part) near Longmont are the Big Thompson below Lake Estes, South Boulder Creek below Gross Reservoir, and Middle Boulder Creek below Barker Reservoir.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sure will, there are a few places though you could get lucky. If I were you I would start targeting panfish more, they can be fun when you get into them and know what your doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Panfish isn't really an issue, almost feels like it came natural. Nothing i've caught so far is anything to brag about, but it sure is fun. I have a lot of fishing i am going to do this spring, summer and fall. I want to consistently catch bigger crappie, just gotta find the right waters to do so. I feel like where i fish they dont have a whole lot of room to grow. I can catch pike all day long, also nothing even coming close to bragging about so a couple of nice pike next year would be awesome. Bass, walleye, perch, i need to get better, learn more, about all of them, just need more time out on the water to get a better feel for things. When im not hunting, fishing is on my brain almost 24/7 and during this time of year with no ice gear near it SUCKS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts