Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got myself a boat but i have no experience trolling, from the rigs to use, what type of lures to how to troll
I have mostly fly-fished and bait-cast fishing from shore before but that is about it
Any tips are appreciated

·
Registered
217 Posts
Depends what you are fishing for, I guess. I enjoy trolling for walleye. My go to is a bottom bouncer sinker rig with a double hook crawler harness (I use this 90% of the time I troll). Sometimes I use a single hook harness and a leech. Both are effective. I read someplace that you should use an once of sinker for every 10ft of depth. I do approximately that, but oftentimes find a 1 oz. to work at 10-15 ft and a 1.5 oz to be effective anywhere from 15-25 ft. Most of the places I troll I am not going deeper than that. They make the sinkers in colors now, too. I have tried orange and chartruess, but find the plain old natural lead color to work just fine too (and they are cheaper).

I ocassionally use lures, Rappala's and the like. I bow to other guys to give you advice on lure trolling. I look forward to what orhers have to say since I could use some advice on that area myself.

I also use a fairly stout rod. When you are trolling, the fish usually nail it, so it's not like you need a sensitive feel. When I am steering the boat while trolling, this type of rod seems easier to handle in general.

And one more thing--you don't have to go very fast. It amazes me how fast some people troll. I always wonder if they are picking up many fish.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I am definately no expert on this subject but as was said it depends what you want to troll for. A good lake to try out techniques is Spinney for trout. The fish there are easy to catch trolling and you can see what works and what does not. When I first got my boat I took it out there and caught a lot of fish and was able to try many differant lures and speeds to see what they would bite on. For walleye try those crawler and leech harnesses at Chatfield by the dam and you should have some luck.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Oh ya, forgot to mention. In my experiance for trout you can troll a little faster and try kastmasters, spoons, and rapalas. I have had a lot of luck at spinney trolling perch colored baits like the Frenzy for Pike and trout. Also my wife caught a nice 19 inch walleye last year with that lure as well out at Chatfield.

Good Luck ;D

L

·
0 Posts
I finally got myself a boat but i have no experience trolling, from the rigs to use, what type of lures to how to troll
I have mostly fly-fished and bait-cast fishing from shore before but that is about it
Any tips are appreciated
What are you fishing for and where?

·
Registered
391 Posts
How slow should I go with a bottombouncer?1/2 mile hour or less?Haven't tried it yet but will soon.Can you also tie cranks(rapalas etc.)to the bottombouncer,I guess then you would have to go a little faster.

lyn

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend putting a rapala behind a bottom bouncer. You'll end up having to buy another rapala. Get your rapala that deep dives, and this trolled slowly will net some real nice fish.
Your boat speed will depend on the lure your'e using, but I won't go over about 1 mph or slower if I can, especially with worm rigs. Have fun & good luck. Ron

·
Registered
239 Posts
I usually troll almost everywhere that I fish. I would troll slowly and look for
areas (if you have a depth finder or map) that have structure or sharp changes in depth. I would troll in an "S" pattern. Try trolling around weed lines, too. As the water gets warmer, you might want to get some lead core
or use in-line weights. The biggest fish that I have caught were caught on
spoons like kastmasters or Tazmanian devils. Keep your drag loose and there's usually no doubt when you have a strike. They usually hit like a ton
of bricks. Good Luck!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm pretty new to trolling also but I do enjoy it. Last year I caught dozens of walleye at Chatfield with bottom bouncers with a green or yellow spinner followed by a single hook leech. It was pretty simple, go slow, 0.7mph or so, try to get your line to go as straight down as you can and try to keep the bouncer bumping the bottom.
This year I've caught quite a few trout at Aurora while trolling, mostly on kastmaster spoons. Most were pretty large recently stocked bows, some were carry-overs, or native. One weighed 4.8 lbs. When trolling for trout the speed I use is about 1.1 mph, let lots of line out, maybe 150-200', and don't be afraid to look all over the lake for the fish. Some were caught in more than 50' of water.
I've yet to catch anything trolling with a crank bait even though I've pulled them through lots of water over the last two years. I wish I knew how to do that! Any pointers from the pros?
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think shad are speedy little fish, don't give the walleye a chance to see if it is really a shad or not. 2 mph +

·
Registered
633 Posts
Talo's got it right if you are after trout. My rule of thumb is, if you aren't catching trout- speed up. It seems to work especially well this time of year as the water warms up. Roostertail spinners with a micro sized piece of worm and #5 original Rapalas (black/silver, gold/silver, rainbow trout, or firetiger) are my choice of lures. One of the best tricks with spinners is to slide the knot to the side of the loop you tie directly to to get it to run without spinning the body-only the blade. Trout can't stand to let it get away!!! Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishinlooney said:
One of the best tricks with spinners is to slide the knot to the side of the loop you tie directly to to get it to run without spinning the body-only the blade.
Sounds interesting, but I don't know what you are saying. Could you describe that in some different way? How does a knot slide to the side of a loop? If you can keep a spinner from turning over in the water, I want to try it.

Added later:
It just dawned on me that the loop you mentioned might be the wire eye on the front of the spinner, and not a loop in the line. Would bending the eye out of line work as well?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
and just to clarify Fisheyes, I was referring to trolling with the crankbaits. I troll faster with spoons too. It sounds like you have the Chatfield walleye figured out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As the name implies my son and I are truly trolls. You can become an over-night “troll” by reading a book called “Precision Trolling” by Dr. Steven Holt, Mark Romanack, & Tom Irwin. You will learn about snap weights, planer boards, trolling speed, tuning crank baits and so much more. The book lists most lures and provides specific information on the depth the lures will run. Lures are useless if they are not in the same zone as feeding fish. You will find a depth chart according to line diameter, trolling speed, and the distance you run the lure from your new boat! Line counters are a must. Either use a reel with a line counter or purchase ones that affix to your pole (less than $15). These tactics work on all sizes of water from the Great Lakes & Colorado Reservoirs to farm ponds. Pay attention to detail logging all of your experiments. You can also increase your catch by utilizing a GPS to mark hot spots. We use a simple hand held GPS unit mainly to double back on a feeding school of fish. Speed can be fine tuned with a drift sock. You can purchase different sizes to adjust to your speed depending on conditions such as wind, current, Hp, and the number of fishing buddies you have in the new boat. It won’t take you long to sort out what works on your home turf!
Trolls

·
Registered
307 Posts
Troll, I ordered ver 8, hasn't been shipped yet. Sounds like it is a great resource. I've noticed when trolling at Chat, CC and Aurora that it is fairly hard to maintain a constant depth. I'm not quite sure how knowing the depth of the lure really helps all that much when the depth is constantly changing under and behind the boat. I know it's not an exact science but how do you handle this. Are you constantly adding or reeling in line?

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
I dont troll much but have seen a couple of seminars lately and it seems one issue that hasnt been addressed is to use a rod with some give with monofilament line...that way there is some stretch and some rod loading to set the hook without pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth due to the no stretch properties of some of the super lines...I hope that made sense...it is late and just checking the forum on the way to bed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congratulations your purchase will leap frog you ahead on the learning curve.  The book also addresses mono and the new super lines.   Like most bodies of water you will have variable water depth.  Knowing what depth your lures run removes one of the variables.  I am sure you are familiar with every rock and drop-off at your home lake.  If not, you can access all the information you need by purchasing a quality contour lake map and using tools such as your depth finder and GPS to map actual conditions on your store-bought map.  I select lures to match the zone I want to fish.  The Precision Trolling guide will help you think of your lure/bait presentation in a more three dimensional perspective.  You will learn to cover a zone of water both vertically and horizontally.  For example, if you are fishing in a place where the water depths change dramatically, then you may want to limit your lure presentation to the shallowest conditions yet spread out your lures horizontally to cover more area.  You will have a blast trying all the different tactics.  Rip lips…

Trolls

·
Registered
307 Posts
Trolls, since you are fairly new to posting on the Forum, I'd like to hear a little more about your trolling experience. I'd particulary like to hear about the types of lures you use for differnet species and the speeds you troll at.
If you don't mind....
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts