Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Hannah, and I live in Colorado. Very active outdoorsy person.

I moved to Colorado 2 years ago, and it's been about 17 years since I last was fishing when I lived in Missouri.

I would like to get into trout fishing, but not interested in the fly fishing method. Just standard rod and reel method.

Could use some recommendations on a rod, reel, tackle and bait as well as a few locations to do some quality trout fishing.

thanks!

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably a $100 initial investment. I usually am a hiker/climber, but I tore the peroneus longus muscle behind my Achilles tendon on my right foot yesterday on Missouri Mountain, so I'm sidelined from that for 6-8 weeks while I recover.

Figured some camping and trout fishing would fill the void nicely till I can get back on the trail. I can walk, just on a no running/climbing/hiking/biking/jogging limitations for now.

I am in downtown Denver, CO but pretty flexible to get to any lakes with easy access (as I can't be scrambling on boulders and river banks). i.e. Brainard Lake, etc.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have heard good things about the eagle claw featherlight, I think it is like a $50 combo. Good trout lures are inline spinners of varying sizes, small-medium jerkbaits, small tubes and other jigs. Of course you could always be a lazy fisherman (fisherwomen) and get some worms and or powerbait

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard good things about the eagle claw featherlight, I think it is like a $50 combo. Good trout lures are inline spinners of varying sizes, small-medium jerkbaits, small tubes and other jigs. Of course you could always be a lazy fisherman (fisherwomen) and get some worms and or powerbait
thanks for the recommendations. I'm just looking for lake trout fishing. something to keep me entertained while I recover from torn tendons and to take home and put on the grille or in the fryer.

where can I pick up the eagle claw combo at?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
thanks for the recommendations. I'm just looking for lake trout fishing. something to keep me entertained while I recover from torn tendons and to take home and put on the grille or in the fryer.

where can I pick up the eagle claw combo at?
Hannah, you can go to the company Country Store located on the northeast corner of I-70 & Colorado Blvd on the east side of the building. Go in and Eddie, Garrett or Mike can answer any question you have and set you up with everything you need in a combo setup, hooks, line, weights or anything else you will fall in love with in the store. Tell them Tony sent you!!! Also if anybody would like to see Mr. Don Walker's state record 50.5lb Lake Trout it is on display at the Country Store!!!

http://www.eagleclaw.com/product/combos/product-line/Featherlight

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Hey Hannah, all new members normally post a selfie as an introduction .

·
Registered
902 Posts
You do any morrels hunting back in tn? Thomas bouyant spoon in gold should do well on an ultra light.flys and micro jigs and bobber are also solid for ultra lights.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Phluger reels are an amazing value. Mine is going strong after 10 years.

Look at a fenwick rod but if you're looking to save money sportsman's warehouse rods are nice. I recommend a medium light.

I prefer p-line 6lb test or 4lb if your hiking to lots of small lakes or beaver ponds

Lures try spinners and spoons 1/8 - 1/4oz. Below 1/8 oz works well for high mountain fishing. Add some raplas the imitate rainbow, and brown trout

Bait either worms, salmon eggs, or powerbait

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like my pflueger president reel as well as mentioned previously. My standard spinner/lures are bouyants and kastmasters. I also have a 5 piece (or is it 4 piece) spin rod from Cabellas that I like for backpacking.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts