Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was never really impressed by the Curado 300D sold it a while ago. Never replaced it and didn't throw to many big swimbaits last year. Wouldn't mind chucking some next year.
It is a Daiwa Luna 253 with a Skeet Reese Revo handle that is 100mm. Love the big knobs. It also adds four bearings to the reel. :thumbsupthree:

·
Registered
648 Posts
FishDr said:
Very nice looking reel!

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Curado 300?
X's 2. What's to be better with the Diawa. I'm always open to better working equipment. Thanks Boondock

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FishDr said:
Very nice looking reel!

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Curado 300?
It is a fine reel and does it's job. I didn't care for the feel of it. Size was a little weird and I have big hands. I am not a huge fan of round reels but after fishing my Calcutta 200 TEDC a lot this year I see their use. I feel like bigger swimbaits are best fished with the extra power of 5.1.1 and it will help me work the bait slow.

I didn't think the Curado was a very refined reel. Maybe the E is better as I think it replaces a few bushing with bearings. Weight is pretty close with the D being 10.5 and I weighted mine with the longer handle/bigger knobs at 11.3.
It is also different than what the masses use which I like. :D :D

Hell I might not even like it much but holding it my hand it feels more refined and a better fit for me.

Check out this review guys... Luna is in between the Calcutta B and the TE.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaluna.html

Hope that helps

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dude, why are u buying that daiwa when a ryoga 2020 is still avail? Ill kill to lay my hands on one. Just a heads up, ur DC will outshine the luna and ull regret buying it in the end. Love my 201DC, lady loves to sing the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I'll stick with my Shimano CT200GTB. 8 bearings against 6, 9.9 oz against 11.1 oz, 6:0:1 versus 5:1:1, couple those with the fact the GTB having been around a long, long time. I notice Tackle Warehouse didn't put it up against the GTB model or the TE's GT models either, but I think they should stick to the Calcutta B in the review. The TE has a whole different gear system and pricey at over a $100 more in cost. But they had to compare 300 to 300. Be interesting to see 200 versus 200 in the identical price range. That would throw the GTB into the mix.

Not saying the Luna isn't a great reel, most are when you top the $200 barrier, what I can't understand, Boon, is you are constantly trying to reduce rod weight, even going so far as to put micro-guides on (I know there are other reasons too) at a saving of what, 1/4 oz and still you throw a reel on that weights 1.2 oz more?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blowfish said:
I'll stick with my Shimano CT200GTB. 8 bearings against 6, 9.9 oz against 11.1 oz, 6:0:1 versus 5:1:1, couple those with the fact the GTB having been around a long, long time. I notice Tackle Warehouse didn't put it up against the GTB model or the TE's GT models either, but I think they should stick to the Calcutta B in the review. The TE has a whole different gear system and pricey at over a $100 more in cost. But they had to compare 300 to 300. Be interesting to see 200 versus 200 in the identical price range. That would throw the GTB into the mix.

Not saying the Luna isn't a great reel, most are when you top the $200 barrier, what I can't understand, Boon, is you are constantly trying to reduce rod weight, even going so far as to put micro-guides on (I know there are other reasons too) at a saving of what, 1/4 oz and still you throw a reel on that weights 1.2 oz more?
Cool to each their own. Your 200 size spool holds 10/190, 14/110 which means you are going to have very little line left after a cast and I am not casting a $30 4oz bait on 15lb test. The luna holds 14/195, 17/150 so I could bump up to 20lb test without a problem. Two difference classes of reels blow so you can't even compare weight.
The Luna uses the magforce Z which is the same as the Steez. It also has the quick mag brake control on the side for easy adjustments compared to opening up other reels to adjust.
Your bearing counts are very important for the uneducated consumer. Lets compare the Shimano Core 100 to a Pinnacle Matrix
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Core_100MGFV_Casting_Reels/descpage-SCRF.html

http://www.pinnaclefishing.com/shop/p-122-matrix-xlt.aspx#page=page-1

So the $95 Pinnacle must be superior to the $380 Core correct? I think not, a company can pack bearings in all kinds of difference places that really don't matter. Thinks that matter are tight tolerances, free spinning spools, good braking systems, lightweight spools, bearings in the correct places, etc....
Anyways my Luna has 10BB with the different handle :D

Weight wise as I said above the 200 GTB is in a different class than the 253 Luna. Lets compare the Calcutta TE 300 with the same line capacity
CTE 12.5
Luna (Mine) 11.3
Shimano doesn't make a 300 size Calcutta B.

Also with the weight it doesn't matter near as much if I am throwing 1-5oz baits. No swimbait rod meant for these baits is going to be under 5oz and more likely 6. I would rather have a more refined and powerful reel meant for these bait (300 size spool).
When I can get a rod built under 3oz and have a reel 5.5-7oz for using small bait it matters.
With the regular guides versus micros that 1/4 oz or a tad more depending on guide set. That weight is extended out of 6'-7' where it is WAY more noticeable compared to right under your hand with a slightly less heavy reel. Sounds like you might no the other benefits so I won't even go into that.

I may not be happy with the reel but I have owned a few Calcuttas and they are nice reels but not that next step up. The feel of this one is great but it has yet to be tested. I thought I would share it with a few that fish swimbaits and like nice reel. Hopefully this long post helps someone when it comes to choosing a reel.

I am glad you like your GTB but not the best comparison. I hope to like the Luna. To bad this ice is setting in :(

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Southplatter said:
Dude, why are u buying that daiwa when a ryoga 2020 is still avail? Ill kill to lay my hands on one. Just a heads up, ur DC will outshine the luna and ull regret buying it in the end. Love my 201DC, lady loves to sing the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
lol Platter! That is a $600 reel :D
I try not to spend over $300 per item. The reel wouldn't get $600 worth of use but that has to be one of the sexiest looking reels one could buy!
I love the DC and don't expect the Luna to come close. Problem with the DC is the small spook capacity. With a full load of 14lb and a super spook I can hit the knot! I even broke the knot once. :eek:
12lb test I come very close. So throw on some 17-20lb and every cast will be on edge of breaking the line with a heavy bait.
Love that sing also!!!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
I have the Luna 300L and agree with Kurtis assesment re Blowfish. Different tools for different jobs. Reducing weight by fractions of ounces is inconsequencial when throwing 6oz baits. I need a lot of 25#XT cuzz an 8" punker flies a long way. If we're talking about 1/32oz tungsten and a 4" roboworm its a different discussion.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Looks like a great reel! I just purchased the Calcutta 400 TE and I am stoked for next season. I may take a trip south just to break it in. I do agree that the 200 is too small for large swimbait application. I fished with a Abu Record 60 this year alongside my curado 300e. The Abu has anti reverse problems already! Stickin with Japan one again.
The question is what rod will that reel sit on?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
discloco said:
The question is what rod will that reel sit on?
Not sure yet....
Considering a Phenix like hooknline got built. Great feel to that blank. Not sure if I want to drop that much cash on a rod that will have limited use.
Not to high on store bought rods either though :D

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Blowfish said:

You just have not felt the performance leap that micro guides provide given the way you say that. It's not a little gain, it's huge. I'll admit the spiral wrap can be a tough pill for some to swallow and the gain isn't huge, but there is no disadvantage to it. The Micros compared to regular guides are phenomenal, that 1/4 hanging off the rod, when taken off the rod, increases your tip speed and deflection allowing the rod to unload faster and cast farther, and without the weight, you can cast faster. So combine the three, less weight on the rod, faster casting speed and faster tip speed, and it's very noticeable. This year I will have a standard rod and a micro rod in the same exact rod for folks to try out. With the difference in rods being only in the guides.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Nice lookin' reel. That looks like the same handle as on the wench. I do most of my fish with my wench, love that reel, do like the grips. I thought about getting a swimbait set up this season, Had a combo in mind that would run about $400...the thing that slowed me down on buying it was more the cost of baits...oh well I'll probably get a new spinning set up this season. Maybe a swimbait rod next year.

·
Registered
958 Posts
In November, I was wondering what to do with my b-day $$$ after picking up a BPS Carbonlite MH for better jerkbait performance. Then, the week of Thanksgiving someone (I think FishDr) posted that Bass Tackle Depot was doing 21% off that week, so I picked up the Okuma Guide Series Swimbait Rod 7'11" Heavy (but so light!). I'm new to the swimbaits & huge topwaters, but this is something I've wanted for some time for my extra large jerkbaits. Right now, I'm looking for the perfect marriage (a reel). The Curado 300 seems a tad small - the Calcutta TE is too costly - so right now I'm leaning toward the Cardiff (CDF401A). I like the line capacity for 20# XT or even 25. Anybody know of something else I should consider in the $100-$125 price range? From reading reviews the Cardiff seems to perform close to the Calcutta TE, minus the glitz & glamour (saving $250... I'm sure there are other refinements too but I'm not seeing $250 of them). Has anyone actually used both of these to know the difference in how they feel?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
can't say i've used both of them, but the drag system in the calcutta is significantly better. going from 11 lbs drag pressure in the cardiff to 16 in the calcutta. better quality drag components, gearing, and a faster spool speed startup on the calcutta. i know a few guys who have had the drag on the cardiffs go out on them on decent sized cali fish, but i have had no problems thus far on mine.

·
Registered
958 Posts
marledge said:
can't say i've used both of them, but the drag system in the calcutta is significantly better. going from 11 lbs drag pressure in the cardiff to 16 in the calcutta. better quality drag components, gearing, and a faster spool speed startup on the calcutta. i know a few guys who have had the drag on the cardiffs go out on them on decent sized cali fish, but i have had no problems thus far on mine.
How do you know the gearing, etc is better in the calcutta?

I'm hoping this guy is right since I'm leaning heavily toward the cardiff:

I learned a hard lesson about the Cardiffs... from RedAllison (24.176.116.170) 5/24/2005 4:04:00 PM
I had already spent well over $1k on a deck full of Calcutta 250s and 150s when a Shimano rep showed me something about the Cardiff. They actually have one more bearing than a Calc. The innermost bearing on the right side of the Calc is plastic (really its just there for stability as the spool doesnt ride on that bearing) as opposed to steel on the Cardiff. I liked the 100series better than the sizes I had. He explained that the biggest difference was one that wasn't really a concern for freshwater fishermen. The machined, 1 piece aluminum frame of the Calc is much more expensive to produce than the cast frame of the Cardiff. He also said that the gears (quality wise) were the same in the Cardiffs as were found in the Calcs. For saltwater that 1pc alloy frame is a must, but for bassfishermen its really money spent that you don't have to. Sure the alloy frame is stronger, but unless you are just going to beat them with a hammer or severely mis-use them, a quality piece like the Cardiff will last you for years.
I know I woulda probably saved $500 by buying those Cardiffs vs the Calcs, RA
ps Don't get me wrong, the Calcs are FINE FINE FINE reels and I enjoyed them (only changed because round reels began to hurt my wrists after a full day of use). I just think that for freshwater use the Cardiff is an equally fine reel. They aren't "cheap" reels, thats what the other, less expensive round styles offered by Shimano are for. (taken from: http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/rods_reels/message.html?message_id=57460 )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts