Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it, but I have a phobia about buying a rod I haven't actually held in my hands and tried out the action. A lot of the ULs I have tried in the stores are just a bit too soft and whippy for my taste.

You will be replacing the rod tip after a season of use, the line will wear a groove in that stainless steel. It's not a hard repair job, though.

You also have to consider whether the 1-piece rod will fit in your vehicle with no problems. And if it was me, I would prefer the longer of the two models.

It's a very good price, though. If you want to get it, why not just consider it a "first" ultralight, to be replaced with something else in a year or two after you're sold on ultralight fishing. (And you will be.) :)

L

·
0 Posts
I haven't purchased a combo in a long time. I prefer to purchase the rod and reel seperate but your usually in for for money doing it that way. I haven't heard anything bad about Browning fishing gear but I would say they are probably made by another company such as Shimano, Daiwa, etc...

The BPS in Denver was closing out their Quantum energy spin reels from last year and a couple weeks ago all they had left was the 10 size(small/ultra light). Pair that with a ultra light rod and you have a top of the line rig. More $$ though.

$30 is a great price though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hatchmaster:

Since you are in fort collins, check out Jax. Right now they have some deals on various ultralights. They had one model on sale for $22 I think...5'6". It was a bit soft for my taste...I found one...IM7, fuji guides, reel seat, cork handles and a nice fast action for $18.95...I think it was on clearance or mis priced but It was great deal!

You can buy a decent little ultralight reel for $20-25. I have found that an inexpensive UL reel with 3 or 4 bearings is fine because the lures you pull in are so light and the fish you catch are smaller so it doesn't put as much stress on the reel. I dont think you need a $75 11 bearing reel for a UL setup...but I have to admit that if I could afford it, I'd probably get one anyway...I'm a sucker for high-end stuff.  I accidentaly  bought a mitchell avocet UL reel last summer for a light action rod  I had... It was $25 at Wally World. I put it on the UL rod I just got and it's a perfect fit.   

1 - 6 of 6 Posts