Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I did it. Doug at Gander Mtn. set me up with a Vex L18 last night. I'm looking forward to many outstanding trips with it. Any advice on the best way to use it or types of water it works best in? Any help from those of you with much experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Watch the DVD that came with it...they have a website with tips too...and go someplace with a lot of activity like Dowdy or Tarryall and play with it...the split screen is really interesting...follow the gain settings they give you...increment 1 for every 10 feet...maybe a little less...at least in shallower water...20 feet or less...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Zman forgot to mention you now have New Equipment Curse so don't expect to catch any fish. You don't even need to go to lakes with fish in them. If you know someone with a swimining pool you can practice there too. Play with the settings while watching your jig, drop some stuff and watch it fall etc. The New Equipment Curse should not last more than 3-5 weeks.

Good luck.

Ter

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Congratulations! I'd say go set up in about 20' of water or some depth where you can see the bottom (or almost see it). This is the 'trust but verify' principle in action. You can then watch your jig move, play with the 6' zoom feature, adjust the gain and continue to sight fish. When the fish come in you'll get a nice red LED flash (but you'll be too busy landing the fish to notice).

While this will give you a warm fuzzy about how it works the downside is that the detection cone of the transducer will be very small in 20' of water. A 19 degree transducer will have about a 3 foot diameter cone in 20' of water on the bottom and much less closer up. That translates into a nice 9 foot diameter in 60' of water and tapering to a 3 foot diameter at 20' deep, etc. You can work out the geometry.

Another tip for great success with the Vex is don't forget to use your slip bobbers! The double visual confirmations of a take almost guarantees an iced fish. My favorite slip bobbers are the styrofoam ones that you trim to almost match the weight of the jig.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
20 foot of water that you can see all the way to the bottom?? i want to fish there,now that you have a vex you will never want to fish without it..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have not had a chance to even open it yet. I plan on getting it out in the morning and watching the DVD. My first real test with it may be at Georgetown on Thursday next week. That is a pretty shallow lake. Not a place I usually fish but an opportunity has arisen. Jamie, it sounds like you got a few nice trout there recently. Were you fishing close to the dam? Depth? Is this a good lake for the first test?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i havent fished g-town this year, hit it a couple of times last year, just not interested in little fish. someone always catches a big there once in a while(like maybe 1 a year) i would rather sit all day and only see 2 or 3 big fish and have a chance to catch them, than to sit and catch little ones all day.just my preference, it works for us. the little fish at g-town might make it a little more challenging with the vex as they zip in and out of the radar cone. any lake is a good lake for a fishing test. i have noticed that big weeds on big rocks(jefferson, green mtn) make it tough to use the vex accurately. just remember that whatever the radar hits first down there if it is big enough, it considers it the bottom, you can watch you jig go down and on the vex you will go past the bottom line but you still havent hit bottom. it will also read in and out on the weeds as it is always searching for a solod bottom to read on.sometimes taller weeds will show up as green or red marks higher up in the water column on the vexilar readout, a fish will usually be unmistakeable as it is a much larger red mark,especially if you use the bottom zoom feature on the fl18(reads on the left side of vex) you just have to mess with it and find what reading works well for you. i sometimes use the low power and sometimes the high power, it usually depends on how the vex is reading that day, i always seem to be using the zoom though, but i usually fish shallower lakes, we rarely fish in over 15 ft usually we are in 7 or 12 ft and in that shallow of water you just don't have much reaction time as the cone angle is small, i usually sight fish this shallow and just use the vex as a signal that i just missed a fish when i get lazy and decide to sit back and not look down the hole.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sight fishing would be nice but I don't have the benefit of a hut. I normally fish deeper water than Georgetown can offer but with the situation I have coming up next week it looks Georgetown will have to suffice. I would rather catch the big ones too but I will have a first timer with me and probably the family who will want to play in town and occasionally venture onto the ice to ridicule us for drinking beer. Thanks for the advice on bottom structure. I hadn't thought of that. I hear there is a good brown come out of that lake every once in a while. Maybe I will get lucky.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just bought a Vex last weekend also looking to test it out over new years weekend. Was about to take it back I was pissed that they didnt have any 19 degree tranducers in stock. I then looked at reciept and it came already with one on it. Hope the new equipment gods look down in favor this weekend!

Tight Lines and Bent Rods

Grizz

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm taking mine to Georgetown in the morning. Probably going to get blown off. I will post a report. Now with a digital camera also in my arsenal maybe a pic or two.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Once you go Vex you never go back!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have a 12 degree transducer for my fl-18. That is a pretty good combo and all around transducer. However, my brother is the lucky one. He has dual transducer, a 9 degree or 19 degree cone based on what you want (I think I don't quite understand it). His is an fl-8 though. Once you icefish with a vexilar, you will never feel the same without one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts