Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Rim Chung came up with an infinately adjustable, all axis rotary years ago - total cost of $1.99 - they are called forceps :)

BTW - if you jam the handle of forceps into the door frame of your vehicle while camping - awesome temporary vise !!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim...I guess necessity *is* the mother of invention.

Gracie knew about Rims' forcep vise...he just wanted to build one under 10 bucks in a diff way....and did it well from what I've seen.

W~

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't post much here because these days I tie flies more than I get to fish, but I had to laugh when I saw that ghetto vise. I have a Norvise that I don't use much any more (amazing for streamers though), and I got a lower end Renzetti a while back that sits on the shelf. Most of the time, I use those cheapo Pakistani specials that cost about $10. They are convenient and so cheap I have about three of them around the house (dining room, family room, in front of the TV). They're always within reach when I feel like tying a fly. Nothing fancy, but they get the job done.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hey, it gets the job done, right? ;)

For style, though, what Faruk Ekich came up with is simply beyond elegant. I have been a fan of Damascene steel for years (I did silversmithing for a long time - what this guy does is what a master blacksmith can accomplish - usually only seen in extremely expensive knife or sword blades). Most know him for inventing the Ekich bobbin.

The pattern he used for the adjustment knob is the shape of the wings of the 3 most common flies people tie - stonefly, caddisfly, and mayfly. Saw these in a recent Fly Tyer and was so intrigued.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts