Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the New Zealand strike indicators and/or compared them to a thingamabobber?

Any thoughts on the NZsi!

FB

·
Registered
301 Posts
I tried one the other day, and it sank like a stone. However, I have noticed they offer a larger diameter tubing to handle a bigger "hank" of yarn, presumably to float a heavier nymph. I think I just had too heavy a fly on the one I tried. There was a guy there earlier that I was watching, and his was floating beautifully. The tool works great, just run it through the loop and pop the tubing off it. One more toy.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
"New Zealand strike indicators" sounds like another invasive species to me!! ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
They're real nice about not kinking your leader - just find some tubing, run a loop of your leader up through it, and insert some yarn, then pull it down into the tube.

·
Registered
131 Posts
new zealand strike indicator

Bought one a while back,love it,easy to set up and change position on leader.Treated with floatant and seems to work better.:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased it back in January. IMO... worked great in slower currents. I love the ease of use, and the ease of changing line length from the indicator. Any speed in the current flow, it sinks, fast. Sinks quite fast when you're using any split shot or heavier tungstun flies. It did help to add floatant. I ended up selling it on ebay last month. I went back to a Thingamabobber.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
It told you up front what it would float.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Has anyone tried the New Zealand strike indicators and/or compared them to a thingamabobber?

Any thoughts on the NZsi!

FB
Crap. The tool that came with the package to slide the small plastic tube onto the leader broke after 2-3 times. That, and they didn't sit in place well down the leader, 5x leader. Sometime you want to have only 2-3 feet of line below the indicator and this wasn't possible.

The more I fish, the more I realize a Thingamambobber is the only way to go. White, second smallest size works 90% of the time. Anything else is playing to our lust for better gadgets. Done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have it and am using it on tailwaters in smoother water. So, flat water, smaller nymphs etc. If you get any rough water it sinks like a stone. I still like the mid sized white Thing's for most of the nymph fishing we do here.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
The advantage of wool/yarn indicators is they cast good, and land soft. That means pretty soft water. If you're fishing faster moving water the Thingmaboober is a better choice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts