Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I can't tell you how much of a hard time I am having. I come from the land of 14,120 lakes and can't hook one fish on 2 trips to Nederland and 1 trip to Evergreen. However, I was drop shotting with crawlers, which I would think is ok.

Can some people tell me what I need to do to get my mojo back in catching? I chose to dropshot because i have polarized glasses and can see the water but with no fish near shore, where someone else was casting but I was like why because I know there are no fish there. So yes, the dropshot gets me out to sea further.

What types of lures are you using and do I put a salmon egg on it? Crawler?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have never even heard of anyone catching anything off a dropshot in colorado. you might want to try fishing deeper structure with a jig or troll deep with a rapala or spoons. it really depends on what you are targeting

·
Registered
767 Posts
Welcome to the land of 23 lakes... Where are you from in MN? If you want to go after trout, have fun and good luck, if you want to find some Colorado walleyes, then I might be able to help you.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
texasborncoloradoraised said:
i have never even heard of anyone catching anything off a dropshot in colorado. you might want to try fishing deeper structure with a jig or troll deep with a rapala or spoons. it really depends on what you are targeting
::) ::) OK, Myself and tons of guys drop shot with great success here in the mountains, just a few weeks ago FISHFUL THINKER tv had a guy slaying bass drop shotting.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
texasborncoloradoraised said:
::) ::) OK, Myself and tons of guys drop shot with great success here in the mountains, just a few weeks ago FISHFUL THINKER tv had a guy slaying bass drop shotting.
X2...There have been days when a drop shot rig was catching fish left and right, and nothing else was even getting looked at.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
When I lived in Minnesota, I thought I was a pretty damn good fisherman. "Good" meant I could go out and catch bass, walleyes, and pike whenever I wanted to. And yeah, I guess, crappies and bullheads and stuff like that, too.

Then I moved to Colorado, and I discovered I didn't know how to catch s###. It took me a year or two to get over the shock.

I am not going to spend a lot of time telling you how to catch fish in Colorado, because I don't have the inclination to sit on this forum and write a book. There are better fishermen than I on this forum (gasp! choke!) and none of them have sat here and written a book either. But I do want to give you a word of encouragement, because it can be done, and if you forget everything you ever knew in Minnesota, you will be off to a good start.

Do some reading, talk it up in some bars and barbershops, and most of all, spend time on the water. This is called research. ;D

You will think this advice is no help to you. You are wrong. ;D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My best piece of advice is pick up a lot of jerkbaits for this tim of the year. X-Raps, Rattlin Rogues, Pointer minnows in colors ranging from fire tiger to the Olive Shad X-rap, to the Ghost minnow luckky craft Pointer. Buy them in sizes ranging from 2-5".

If your'e after trout fish the smallest X-Rap made. Fish it erratically in current. Fish it even more erratically in stillwater. I've caught a lot of fish with these baits and i'm originally from SD. The fishing there isn't quite as good as up by Brainerd but we were still spoiled in our results.

Downsize your line to 4# for trout and 6-8# for 'eyes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dropshotting works VERY well on bass and walleyes right after ice out. Dropshotting a leech is great when walleyes are holding tight to structure in the summer too. It took about 6 months to adapt to fishing resevoirs after I moved from wisconsin. Give it time, the walleye bite gets really good in the fall after the water turns over.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Every technique has its time and place. Casting for walleyes near the Aurora reservoir dam toward the tower during dawn and dusk can be really productive.

Crank baits, tube jigs, bait, etc.
This time of year will be fewer, but much bigger fish.

Put in your time, it will be worth it.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can relate ... it was quite the shock when I moved to Colorado from New England. Let's just say I was in for quite a surprise and awakening. As Walking Eagle said, this could well be the subject of a book (and to W.E. - would Buck use a spoon-plug perhaps? ... :) )

You might also want to check out the articles section. This one ( http://www.coloradofisherman.com/jerkbaitssuck.php ) has some interesting suggestions about fishing jerkbaits from shore ...

Tight lines and full livewells ...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
for a beginner here are a couple lures in my opinion that are a must have in colorado for trout.

1/4 ounce black maribu jig tipped with meal worm.

#5 sinking rainbow rapala

remeber to let them sink before the retrieve

start with these colors and then expand and adapt as you learn the different waters.
Also for trout it will help do drop to 6lb or 8lb test.

a clearplastic buble with about a 4' leader and a wooly bugger is a good option when you see fish working the surface.

you can always tight line night crawlers, salmon eggs, or power bait. I suggjest a bell sinker on the bottom and a two hook rig above the sinker spaced a foot to 18 inches apart.

good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome to Colorado!!! If your fishing for trout i use a carolina rig. A barrel weight and swivel. than tye a 1 foot or 1 1/2 foot liter line. tye a #18 treble hook to the end of litre line your good to go, Use Berkely Power bait or nightcrawlers and you"ll probably start catching fish. If you don't i need someone to net mine for me hahaha, just kidding! Good Luck and let me know how you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to CO, just as many have said. I am also originally from MN, as the name would suggest. I am just getting into fishing out here with a lot of experience from MN so I will see how it goes. Since it is the fall, I will be targetting what I think might work and working nighttime along rocky shorelines with jerkbaits, trying full moon, etc, for walleyes. I figure this should be a decent start and hopefully catch a few walleyes, just to build confidence.

Good luck, and feel free to let me know of any habits that you find that you should get rid of from fishing in mn, haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forget about Evergreen Lake, but upstream and downstream of it has tons of brookies. Better yet, take up river fishing full time. I'd be willing to bet it is thousands of times easier to catch a trout on a fly in a river in CO than anything out of any of our lakes.

I have no idea why this is - I spent some time in the eastern part of the states, where all types of fish were plentiful and easily caught in lakes and ponds. When we moved out to CO, I had little success in lakes and ponds and took up flyfishing full time with some recent spinner fishing to get the wife into it. Much better results for me once I got the hang of it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts