Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Basically I made the move to Aurora, CO from Minneapolis, MN.

1) Can I use two ice fishing rods in the winter like summer time rules?

2) Where do most people buy their supplies? Is Bass Pro the big one in town to go to?

3) Anyone have any favorite lakes that are within two hours of Denver, either west or south

4) What type of jigs are you using? Glow in the dark? Raps?

Thank you!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yes if you have a two rod stamp you can use two rods icing...make sure the one you are deadsticking is secure...or it will dissapear...

Bass Pro is very good...Gander Mountain is in Aurora at Iliff and 225, Donald Broeren whose site this is, is the fishing manager there. So I usually go to Gander, if they dont have it I drive further to Bass Pro and then there is Sportsman's Warehouse at I-25 and 84th avenue...

Also in Aurora is Valley Country Tackle, Louise has a great selection of ice jigs and bait, being a small shop a little more expensive than the big box shops but it is good to support the local shops...she is at Parker Road and Quincy in Aurora...

One of the best front range lakes in Aurora Reservoir is in your backyard...it has walleyes to 15 pounds, wipers to 20 pounds, perch in the 12 to 15 inch range, trout to 10 pounds, the state record smallie swims in there, and the new state record channel cat was caught a few weeks ago at 43 pounds...forage are crayfish, perch and spottail shiners...it is a very clear water lake and can be frustrating...only open daylight hours...my second home...

Also close to you is Cherry Creek, a shad based lake and not very clear but full of food…good bluegill, crappies and walleyes here…some monster wipers too…

Further away for big fish…Eleven Mile Reservoir 2 hours to the southwest from you…big trout and northern pike and kokanee salmon…

Antero Reservoir…shallow weedy trout lake and kokanee…big fish…lots of pressure but a big lake…you can walk away from the crowds…a little further west of Eleven Mile…

A couple hours central is Granby Reservoir if you want to try for Lake Trout…use big tubes and spoons…

All of the above lakes have fishing maps that you can buy at Valley Country or Gander…also if you do an advanced search on here by body of water name you can read past reports and get an idea of what to use…

My best advice is to go into Gander and just talk to Donald about lure selection…they are very helpful there…explain your situation…I would also not use line heavier than 6 pound test and occasionally go to 4 pound test…the water is clearer here and fish are more line shy…I grew up in Minnesota…it is just a little different here…not as many fish…but I think the fish that are here are as big or bigger…just keep an open mind…it will be tougher at first…less water and more pressure here…but you will get it…ask questions and welcome to the forum…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your indepth reply. Much appreciated.

zman said:
Yes if you have a two rod stamp you can use two rods icing...make sure the one you are deadsticking is secure...or it will dissapear...

Bass Pro is very good...Gander Mountain is in Aurora at Iliff and 225, Donald Broeren whose site this is, is the fishing manager there. So I usually go to Gander, if they dont have it I drive further to Bass Pro and then there is Sportsman's Warehouse at I-25 and 84th avenue...

Also in Aurora is Valley Country Tackle, Louise has a great selection of ice jigs and bait, being a small shop a little more expensive than the big box shops but it is good to support the local shops...she is at Parker Road and Quincy in Aurora...

One of the best front range lakes in Aurora Reservoir is in your backyard...it has walleyes to 15 pounds, wipers to 20 pounds, perch in the 12 to 15 inch range, trout to 10 pounds, the state record smallie swims in there, and the new state record channel cat was caught a few weeks ago at 43 pounds...forage are crayfish, perch and spottail shiners...it is a very clear water lake and can be frustrating...only open daylight hours...my second home...

Also close to you is Cherry Creek, a shad based lake and not very clear but full of food…good bluegill, crappies and walleyes here…some monster wipers too…

Further away for big fish…Eleven Mile Reservoir 2 hours to the southwest from you…big trout and northern pike and kokanee salmon…

Antero Reservoir…shallow weedy trout lake and kokanee…big fish…lots of pressure but a big lake…you can walk away from the crowds…a little further west of Eleven Mile…

A couple hours central is Granby Reservoir if you want to try for Lake Trout…use big tubes and spoons…

All of the above lakes have fishing maps that you can buy at Valley Country or Gander…also if you do an advanced search on here by body of water name you can read past reports and get an idea of what to use…

My best advice is to go into Gander and just talk to Donald about lure selection…they are very helpful there…explain your situation…I would also not use line heavier than 6 pound test and occasionally go to 4 pound test…the water is clearer here and fish are more line shy…I grew up in Minnesota…it is just a little different here…not as many fish…but I think the fish that are here are as big or bigger…just keep an open mind…it will be tougher at first…less water and more pressure here…but you will get it…ask questions and welcome to the forum…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts