Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking a bit and gathering what I can. I'm just a Texan headed Colorado way the end of this week, looking for a bit of advice.

We will be in Breckenridge and want to do a bit of fishing. Fly fishing is kinda out, as we don't have the proper gear, but we do have some spinning gear.

I'm leaning towards the Mohawk lakes, thinking it might be a little less crowded than the Blue River. Another option is Blue Lakes just south of Mohawk off 850, but I haven't been able to find any information as to if it has fish, or is able to be fished.

Others on the list, Twin Lakes, Kite Lake, Summit or Echo near Mt. Evans.

Not looking for you secret "golden spot", just curious if anyone has recent experience with these areas, tips for these areas, or suggestions for other places.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not much help here

Hey there, I just joined this forum, I hope to get some fishing help and hints also.

I grew up in Orange County, CA in the 80's, used to fish the Eastern Sierras outside Bishop , CA. Always caught my limit. Moved here to Co in 1994, have never caught a trout here yet, any advice, spots or tactics is welcomed. I am just getting back into fishing after a 21 years of giving up on CO fishing. Note, I mostly like to fish Trout, but will consider Catfish, yummy!

Hope I did not Overtake/abuse your post man :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
TexasG,

I have been talking and researching a bit. Most say Lake Granby, Shadow Mountain is the place to go. Also have heard Idaho Springs, Lake George, and Kite lake. Those are pretty much drive up and fish places. That is about all I know

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Avoid 11 Mile. Spinney and all that unless you are going deep for lake Trout or fly fishing in the rivers. I was out at 11 mile 2 weeks ago, trying from shore. It was so hot, fish are well below 30ft. Rivers I hear are good with Mepps, rooters, and flys. Going to try that tomorrow, the Upper N. Platte.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If you go during the week, the Blue River isn't that crowded. Was up there a week ago at the outlet stores and only two guys on the water. You can use spinning gear there. Yes, Blue lakes have fish as do the Mohawks. Make sure you hike to upper Mohawk. A lot of history along the way. You also have Officer's Gultch...you can use a fly and bubble there. Jefferson lake isn't that far of a drive. You might try Constantine..heading towards the Mount of the Holy Cross. Loaded with brookies. You could also try Old Dillon reservoir. If you go over to Turquoise and want a hike, Hagerman Lake has small cutts and is a cool hike...last time up, we rode our bikes. Cool place...a lot of history. the old tunnel is worth seeing. Just don't slip on the ice in the tunnel if you walk in. Last time up, we met a couple of guys coming out...one had slipped and dislocated his shoulder.

If you want to go out on a guided Dillon reservoir trip. You might contact Fordo and go out on his pontoon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fished the Blue in Breckenridge a few weeks ago--tough day. You'll do well to fish by the outlets in Silverthorne. Check with the local fly shops for up to date reports. You'll do better with a fly rod--you can rent one or buy a cheap one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad to help a fellow Texan

You have already gotten some great advice. Re Summit and Echo Lakes, Summit has cutthroats and is open for fishing, Echo is on the way to Summit and is stocked by CPW. Mt. Evans is a "must visit" by out-of-towners, great views, lots of Rocky Mountain goats and Bighorn sheep, beautiful tundra flowers. I volunteer there to talk to visitors, answer questions etc. Stop at Summit and look for CPW volunteers with a table of animal artifacts, spotting scopes, and other gear to help you see the wildlife.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts