Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First post here. My normal forum is myfishfinder.com but I saw somebody mention this site on there and thought I would check it out.

Pretty cool so far and I like that fact that it's just us Coloradoan's here. Many more than on fishfinder.

Anyways, I live in Junction and I enjoy any type of fishing although I prefer the bass and trout.

Look forward to hanging out here.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! If all goes well, you'll soon be seeking help for being addicted to this forum :p

J/K

Glad you decided to join, Eric. I hope you stay with us on the forum. Newbies are always welcomed. We have some very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly members and now you're one of them. Well, enough said.....

Let's talk some fishin!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Good to see you here eric. We've been slaying the bass up there at jerry creek reservoir #1 this year, nothing big the biggest was 3.5 lbs, 19". I have got many over 2 pounds though; probably 1 out of every 5 or so landed. The big bluegill are lagging behind a bit as the water is still cold...I did catch a decent 10.5" though. I'm going fishing tomorrow; juniata reservoir and purdy mesa. I'll hit juniata at about 12:30 or so, and work the inlet, and the flats south of the dam. If I don't pick up any walleye (some days during the spring i've had great walleye action, some days its nothing), I will try to pick up a few of the monster bows that reside in that lake. At about 2:30 if I haven't caught anything I'll toddle down to purdy mesa and catch some bass. I landed a few big ones there late last october...kinda wierd because it is a small largemouth lake but almost all of them were at least 16" and very fat ???. After about 4 hours of bass fishing in purdy mesa, I'll head back up to juniata and fish on the dam until 30 min or so past dark...as long as the water isn't freezing cold I'll catch walleye and maybe a nice smallie or trout. give me a call if you wanna fish tomorrow...juniata is tough though. Bring along your senkos that we used for bass and maybe by some curly tail grubs and jigheads from sportsmans for the walleye. They will be cheaper than senkos.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't go this weekend. It's Mothers day weekend so I will be kind of busy. I need to find me a new rod. I broke the tip off of mine.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I ended up wussing out on account of the weather. Maaaaaaaaaybe tomorrow :p BIG maybe. Sportsmans has some nice rods, I like the medium action rapala long casts, the 6'6" is perfect for our local lakes and casts far too. 35 bucks though...definitely hit my wallet

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Glad to see the money coming out of your wallet, my kids seem to always find my wallet when they want something!

Dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TroutFishingBear said:
I ended up wussing out on account of the weather. Maaaaaaaaaybe tomorrow :p BIG maybe. Sportsmans has some nice rods, I like the medium action rapala long casts, the 6'6" is perfect for our local lakes and casts far too. 35 bucks though...definitely hit my wallet
cool, does that come with a reel also? ;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Doesn't come with a reel. I haven't started using baitcasters yet; so far I haven't felt the need to, but I know that learning how to use one is inevitable. I just use a Quantum Icon...I don't have the box with me right now though. There are plenty of good baitcasters out there if that is the road you are looking at, ask brian who works at sportsmans about which one he recommends. He is a very knowledgeable bass angler and uses a baitcaster.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i want a baitcaster because they claim to get out a lot farther.  since i am a weakling and can't cast much farther than 7 feet out, any help i can get would be a blessing. ;D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have yet to see a baitcaster that can out cast a spinning outfit as far as distance is concerned, but they are great for fishing rough stuff, where pin point accuracy is necessary and you need some back bone to get unsnagged or to horse a fish out of the "salad".

·
Registered
2 Posts
baitcasters are fun to learn to use. be ready for frustrations due to backlashes and getting acuracy and distance down. they are an aquired taste. i like one in the boat off the front but not from shore for me i just cant use them the way i know how with bushes and such around. but thats me.
later

1 - 12 of 12 Posts