Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to colorado in mid october for an elk hunt in the white river natl forest, I am planning on bringing a pack spin/fly rod with me and some select tackle if I get a chance to do some fishing. Looking at Google maps I see there are some small lakes and streams within hiking distance, one in particular being swede creek and Bailey lake. My question is are these fishable waters and more importantly are the fish in them. I've tried doing a few online searches with little info found on either. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
285 Posts
most streams will have brookies, ya just gotta fish the water near ya and see what happens. i know it's a lame answer but the remote lakes are hit and miss depending on oxygen levels, lake depth, etc.

throw a bit of worm in and you will know real quick if there are fish or not.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
mid oct. you might find ice on small lakes the streams should be running small mepps and dare devils as well as other small baits have worked while elk hunting. I don't know the area you are hunting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm goin to be in gmu 24 not far from swede creek and Bailey lake, about a mile hike roughly

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
ouch I hope you have good luck in 24 3 of us spent a week up there 4 years ago. all we saw was a moose and a doe, and a ton of snow, the only tracks we saw were moose. the guy we went with has hunted there for 20 years and done well but didn't fire a shot in 4 years. we saw 1 elk hanging where the camp had about 6 horses. so I hope you have better luck than we did. that was my last elk hunt, I quit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts