Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very new to the sport...I just received a fly rod for my birthday...not the best but not the worst either. It's a 9' foot, 5/6 weight Martin. I took a quick lesson and it went well. Caught a couple of bluegill and baby bass--it rocks!

I live in Littleton--any spots really close where I can practice on real fish? I heard Waterton Canyon is a pretty good spot...anywhere else?

Any other tips you can give a rookie fly fisherman?

What's a wooly bugger? Everybody talks about how great they are.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Waterton Canyon is a good spot to go, the best spot to is about 5 miles in, close to the damn. If you have a bike use it!!

I also like going to Bear Creek up Morrison canyon, good fishing there also.
Clear creek is also nice, and close!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Big J...all those spots are within 15-20 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problem teacher!

Those are my regular spots when I don't have much time to make a trip somewhere, nice and close and the fishing is pretty good!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of flies...haven't got used to using a strike indicator...will that be okay?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish I could tell you, but like you I am new to fly fishing! I just started a couple weeks ago and have a lot to learn! I have only gone spin casting at those spots.

Buy the Flyfisher's guide to Colorado, that book tell's what to use and when to use it for a great deal of Colorado's lakes,rivers, and creeks! Also, there are plenty of people on this board who are knowlegeable about that sort of thing, thats why I joined here too!

·
Registered
50 Posts
da_teacher said:
What kind of flies...haven't got used to using a strike indicator...will that be okay?
Fishing at waterton you can use just about anything that has a general 'buggy' appearance: hares ears,prince nymphs, pheasant tails. beadheads work really well (i think that a great deal of the fish population are stockers that generally go for bright, big stuff, but like anywhere on the south platte: if you aren't catching fish, go with smaller tippet and flies)

learning with a strike indicator is tough...i am still learning myself, but if you have polarized sunglasses and can spot some fish that are feeding, then you can practice seeing the fish take the fly and watching what the indicator does at that moment.

pm me if you want to fish waterton some night after work. i live in the springs, but would be up for the drive some evening.

do you own a bike?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We live in Colorado--if you don't own some type of fishing equipment or a bike, you're living in the wrong state! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts