Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look at the state records for largemouth bass in other states at similar latitudes to Colorado, ours seems pretty much in line with theirs:

Colorado11 lb. 6 oz.
Nebraska10 lb. 11 oz.
Iowa10 lb. 14 oz.
Kansas11 lb. 12 oz.
Utah10 lb. 2 oz.

If you go north, they get smaller (shorter growing season):

Wyoming7 lb. 14 oz.
S. Dakota9 lb. 3 oz.

If you go a little more south, they get larger:

Missouri13 lb. 14 oz.
New Mexico15 lb. 13 oz.

To beat the Colorado record, a bass would have to live a long time, maybe 11 - 12 years. Quite a few bass fishermen think the next record will come from a farm pond or gravel pit rather than one of the well known lakes or reservoirs. Maybe you could combine two things at once and pick a farm pond near the New Mexico border?

What do you think - can our record be broken, and if so, where would you try?

[Edited 9/13 to correct Colo. record from 10-6 to 11-6, thanx to fishinguitars for catching the error.]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It will fall for sure and I will be the one to do it!!!!! hehe.
I think Navajo would be a good bet or John Martin if it ever fills back up. But south eastern lakes would have the best bet if you ask me.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I have heard there are some interesting ponds from Durango to Pagosa Springs that have potential too...

F

·
0 Posts
thats the old state record ....it got broke a few years ago and now its like 11lb 6oz .....I used to fish with this guy jeff at lake carrol anne he was a hell of a bassfisherman he came from florida and didnt know the state record when he first moved here ....he said he caught 2 12lbers at pella ......from the sounds of it cherry creek might have the state record swimming around ....any farm pond in the state ......shallow water warms faster if the forage is there and a longer growing season you would be surpised what a little body of water can produce......ive also always wonderd about quincy Ive caught fish around 7lbs in there I would like to think they have a few over 10 in there maybe not a state record but a colorado bass of a lifetime for sure .....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fishinguitars said:
thats the old state record ....it got broke a few years ago and now its like 11lb 6oz
fishinguitars, you are right, I checked the DOW records and it's now 11-6. Sorry I messed that up, because Coloradofisherman.com had it right on their records page. :)

I just wonder if anyone who would like their name on a state record should try in Wyoming, because theirs looks way too small to me. Or would that be cheating to go outside the state.

F

·
0 Posts
wyoming would be tough.....its alot colder then colorado on the plains so shorter growing season .......I also forgot to mention carter there is alot of people that think it has the next state record largemouth ...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I think 11-6 is going to be tough to crack. That is big Northern strain bass. Plus our lakes are so much smaller than say Missouri or Kentucky. There is no place to hide here!

I think Aurora Res. will eventually give up a new record smallie and there are some big largemouths swimming in Quincy!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fishinguitars said:
wyoming would be tough.....its alot colder then colorado on the plains so shorter growing season .......I also forgot to mention carter there is alot of people that think it has the next state record largemouth ...
For some reason I can't catch sh** out of Carter. A few bass 13" and under and that's it. Probably because I haven't taken the time to get to know the lake really well.

Still embarrassed that I got that record no. wrong. It's these damn sunglasses.

F

·
0 Posts
hahaha.....carter is really tough the only time I seem to get into them is at night .....its amazing that they hit a black buzzbait or spinnerbait in the middle of the night .....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fishinguitars said:
hahaha.....carter is really tough the only time I seem to get into them is at night .....its amazing that they hit a black buzzbait or spinnerbait in the middle of the night .....
What I catch mostly at Carter are rocks. I'm very good at rocks. Wish there was a state record for rocks.

F

·
0 Posts
the arsenal im sure has a state record ..if you read the released record the arsenal has had a 27 inch bass come out ....it depends on the time of year also .....in the fall when they are nice and fat I think your chances of getting one over 11 6 would be higher ....ive caught long bass in early spring over 23 inches that were just over 6lbs .....and ive caught healthy fall bass that were over 5lbs and 18 inches .....some real hawgs.......im gonna look up the length of the state record kept fish

F

·
0 Posts
the state record was only 22.50 inches long .....mattsabasser had a fish from the arsenal that was 21.50 I think that was just under or over 5lbs ...so I think timing has alot to do with it also ....as well as protien rich forage .....longer then usuall colorado growing season ......

F

·
0 Posts
see I think when they gorge themselves before winter that might be when they have the most weight on them .....22.50 and 11 6 what a hog

1 - 20 of 31 Posts