Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to fly fishing and just landed my first fish this week on a trip to the Arkansas. All I can say is that about a second after he rose to my fly we were both "hooked". It's now may 10th and I've can't get back on the water until the 18th but I'm already itching to go. I'm hoping someone could give a few suggestions on where to fish next week. Being a beginer I'm looking for water with lots of fish over water with fewer but bigger fish, also good casting lanes are nice, I have chest waders, if the destination should call for them, any imput will be really helpful.

M

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The Arkansas should have a caddis hatch going until the snowmelt runoff kills it - opportune time to fish dries. Same with the Colorado. After the caddis hatch, the salmon flies will be hatching on the Colorado. In between - big nymph fishing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm thinking of heading back to the Arkansas, and will be monitoring the runoff to see if I get there in time. I am having some trouble with casting nymph setups. I tangle them quickly and usually to such a degree that I must replace the leader. I plan to spend some time working on this, because otherwise my casting is adequate (I can work 20yrds of line or so without problems). I must confess to being a little turned off by nymphing both because of my tangling the setup and the lack of visual. Most likely I just need a good teacher.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think if youwait just a little longer on your back cast it willhelp solve your problem with your leader getting tangled

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you want to catch fish (especially big ones ) you will have to nymph. Rollcast is the easiest way to cast that nymph setup. Ive been flyfishing for a few years now and I still constantly get tangled up dont let it frustrate you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I've been told that it's more challenging to cast theese setups, and I hope my skills will improve with some practice. I've considered getting a private lesson to focus on this. There's a shop in Denver that gives private lessons at $20 an hour, but in the meantime I plan to continue pounding away with those drys.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ha, after reading your handle, I can relate! I had a lot of trouble casting nymphs, especially double nymph sets with a splitshot and indicator. Seemed to always get tangled beyond hope! I fixed that problem in a couple of ways. I started fishing a big foam and indicator - looks like a bobber with a slit and a rubberband that holds the leader in place (anyone help me out with the name?) and using nymphs with tungsten heads. The tungsten heads are heavier than brass and will get the fly down quickly. If I feel a need to use splitshot, I'll use a couple number 8s instead of going with a single large one. I think it helps to have the smaller profile on the line. Last, I take a lot of time with my back cast now. I used to panic feeling all that weight load up on the rod, but now I just relax and go with it and it seems to work well.
Now, for the Arky. In the spring at the beginning of runoff, you're better off fishing in the early morning before things get rolling real good. Cooler days are my favorite since there's usually less color to the water - not that that's necessarily the best deal since I prefer a little color - just not chocolate brown.
With the higher water speeds, though, you'll want to fish anyplace that has rip rap banks. There's a lot of that on the river, and you'll find that the fish will be hugged right up against those banks to get out of the current and they'll be sipping flies like crazy.
Even in the runoff you can still find some decent water if you look for it. Check deep back water runs and don't discount the shallow eddies where water runs back behind rocks and logs. The fish will be stacked in those areas.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Fishhunter,
Are you talking about the fish pimp strike indicator?
They work well.
On nymphing,
I agree on the roll cast being easier, and keep as much line out of the water as possible on the drift. Hold the rod higher. good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, I think it is a fishpimp indicator. You can also get the 'turn on' indicators, which work the same except they have a little tab on each side of the rubberband that will consistently grab your line on the back cast...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts