Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
sswan said:
Thanks. I had been trying to find that opinion piece today. For some reason I thought it was in the NY Times.

I don't think that most of the players want a completely free system either. However, they want accurate financial info in order to deal collectively with the league, audited financials. Since it was the league who opted out of the last CBA, claiming to be on the way to financial ruin, if it truly was in dire straights you would think it would be willing to provide the information. It wasn't. It asked the players to trust its numbers.

How was that bargaining in good faith? It wasn't. I wouldn't trust unverified numbers either in that scenario.

So, the owners locked out the players when the CBA expired in an attempt to gain economic leverage, the NFLPA decertified as a union as permitted under federal labor law, and down the antitrust litigation road they go.

If the NFL would provide the financial info requested, I'll bet this whole mess could be settled pretty quickly. Instead, Goodell is willing to risk a very big goose that has laid an awful lot of golden eggs.

The NFL badly miscalculated this one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts