Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

With the 2nd pick in the draft who should the Bronco's take?

• Marcell Dareus DT Alabama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Von Miller OLB Texas A&M

• Patrick Peterson CB LSU

• A.J. Green WR Georgia

• Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson

• Nick Fairley DT Auburn

• Cam Newton QB Auburn

• Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri

• Trade Down - Get extra picks and take the best player available

• Keep the pick and draft a player not included in the above list

• Jake Locker QB Washington

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok who should the Broncos draft? I admit it I am a draft junkie and sports talk junkie. The Broncos need obvious front 7 help but the rub here is that 3 top defensive lineman probably are not worthy of the 2nd pick in the draft. You usually get into trouble when drafting for need rather than taking the best player available. Popular consensus is that Peterson, Green and Miller will have the best chance to be impact players and have spectacular and maybe Hall of Fame Careers. I think the Broncos would be best suited to trade down and get extra picks and take the best player available. I think if possible they trade down to 4th or 5th and still get a shot at Peterson or Miller and stock the defensive line in the second round with extra picks. Peterson is intriging, two shut down corners, the Jets were able to play great defense with two great corners and an average defensive line at best. Miller would raise havoc all over the field. I can even come up with a scenerio where they should take Green but I would hate to see the orange and blue bleeders cough up a lump of plaque and stroke out. So what do you think? Where is Trout Hunter?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
zman said:
I think the Broncos would be best suited to trade down and get extra picks and take the best player available. I think if possible they trade down to 4th or 5th and still get a shot at Peterson or Miller and stock the defensive line in the second round with extra picks.
In a normal season I would agree with you. But, with no CBA, teams cannot trade players, only draft picks, and I don't know whether they can find a trade partner out there who has draft picks in the right spots that would make for a fair trade for both parties. Often those trades involve packaging draft picks and current players.

God I'm tired of hearing those sanctimonious sound bites from Goodell being thrown softballs by Adam Schefter. He creates a crisis and then whines about it. ::)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
zman said:
I think the Broncos would be best suited to trade down and get extra picks and take the best player available. I think if possible they trade down to 4th or 5th and still get a shot at Peterson or Miller and stock the defensive line in the second round with extra picks.
In a normal season I would agree with you. But, with no CBA, teams cannot trade players, only draft picks, and I don't know whether they can find a trade partner out there who has draft picks in the right spots that would make for a fair trade for both parties. Often those trades involve packaging draft picks and current players.
This ^

What a crappy year for denver to have 2nd overall...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I seriously doubt the Broncos will have a trade down partner in the 1st rd. I laugh when I hear folks say that they are gonna be pissed if they don't. It takes a partner to make it happen. And they won't have one. That being said, I would think that the Broncos with the 2nd pick will take DT Marcell Dareus unless he is gone. Then they will take Von Miller. The Broncos are in great need of a Defense line. They need to build up from the inside out. Last time the Broncos stacked the D line, they got Moss, Thomas, And Crowder. That didn't work out well. My guess is that if they can keep a D coordinator for more then 1 year, they will all be better for it. We don't need a CB, WR, or QB with the 1st pick.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
baetisrun1 said:
I seriously doubt the Broncos will have a trade down partner in the 1st rd. I laugh when I hear folks say that they are gonna be pissed if they don't. It takes a partner to make it happen. And they won't have one. That being said, I would think that the Broncos with the 2nd pick will take DT Marcell Dareus unless he is gone. Then they will take Von Miller. The Broncos are in great need of a Defense line. They need to build up from the inside out. Last time the Broncos stacked the D line, they got Moss, Thomas, And Crowder. That didn't work out well. My guess is that if they can keep a D coordinator for more then 1 year, they will all be better for it. We don't need a CB, WR, or QB with the 1st pick.
I agree with this. Denver needs a line. Preferably a couple of fat guys to stuff up the run but can also rush the passer from the interior. The colts have an excellent pass rush, but pay for it when teams run against them. Drop a couple of big fat rushers in the middle to compliment doom.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Maybe the Broncos should quit committing violations of the Sherman Act, stop this collusive boycott with the other NFL teams, break ranks and start signing free agents, including would-be draft picks. >:D

Desperate times call for despperate measures.

You know Al Davis is considering it. :D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Maybe the Broncos should quit committing violations of the Sherman Act, stop this collusive boycott with the other NFL teams, break ranks and start signing free agents, including would-be draft picks. >:D

Desperate times call for despperate measures.

You know Al Davis is considering it. :D
i think that would be awesome. Don't think it will happen, but it could be a way to get an upper hand.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
They DEFINITELY need an NFL caliber QB. Someone they can groom for a couple years behind Cutler and then hand over the reins. Other than that, they could use a whole new offense and a D, 15 more special teams guys and maybe a new waterboy.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
They DEFINITELY need an NFL caliber QB. Someone they can groom for a couple years behind Cutler and then hand over the reins.
Is NFL news a little slow getting to the Western Slope these days? :D

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Hoping for Von Miller...best pass rusher in the draft...Move Williams back inside and put Miller at the weak outside linebacker position...Bringing Doom, Ayers and Miller on the rush...also...linebackers have the least amount of risk when it comes to the bust factor...where as D-lineman have the greatest. It's a deep draft for defensive tackles this year...and we should be able to get a good one ..or maybe two in the second round...

Von Miller is a difference maker...a stud. I'd still be happy if we took Darius, Miller, or Peterson...all should be good players for years to come..

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
If a trade down were possible, that is what I would vote for... I would love to get a solid offensive lineman. That said, a trade with a team that might finish last this year would be the ultimate... LUCK!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
They DEFINITELY need an NFL caliber QB. Someone they can groom for a couple years behind ORTON and then hand over the reins.
Is NFL news a little slow getting to the Western Slope these days? :D
That is how bad I hate the donkeys, forgot to care that they traded one mediocre guy for another.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Need is at the D line but the sure bet player in this whole draft id peterson which is who I would take.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Voted for V. Miller. Denver no doubt needs front 7 help and should take either Dareus or Miller. I would like to see Miller, as the Denver LB's have not been the heart of the defense - but they should be. It appears that Miller would be able to step up and fill that void, which has been absent since Al Wilson's departure.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
It does seem as though LBs are natural leaders of the defense. I haven't seen enough tape on the guy to make a decision. I am just going off last year's performance. I haven't been paying attention much to NFL.....a boycott of mine own! >:D

1 - 20 of 96 Posts