Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How frustrating! The CBA expires in just 30 days and the last time the owners reps sat down with the NFLPA reps in a bargaining session was Nov. 22, over 10 weeks ago. They have a session set for this Saturday, but it certainly seems like there has been much more effort put into spin and posturing than into good faith bargaining.

It sure doesn't look good for football fans. :mad:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I really don't think they'll lock out....I think the owners will take the route of operating under their last and best offer...Now if they do that...the players may strike...

The players really don't have any long term leverage...the game will go on with ...or without them...new players will want to play for those same millions of dollars...It's not like the players can take their game to Canada..or the UFL...

I really don't care....If there's football next season...great...if not...I'll do something else...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
hobiecat said:
I really don't think they'll lock out....I think the owners will take the route of operating under their last and best offer...Now if they do that...the players may strike...

The players really don't have any long term leverage...the game will go on with ...or without them...new players will want to play for those same millions of dollars...It's not like the players can take their game to Canada..or the UFL...

I really don't care....If there's football next season...great...if not...I'll do something else...
Sounds like more time on the lakes on Sundays... ;)

If they're smart, there will be football next season. The NFL is the model for all pro sports leagues. It works because they do it right. You know the old adage, "if it ain't broke...." Seems to me like both sides are trying to take advantage of the fact that there HAS to be a new agreement reached, since the last one will expire, rather than looking at it and saying "hey, we've got a pretty good thing going now".

At the end of the day, it's rich guys arguing with richer guys, and they're all arguing over a child's game that just happens to make billions in revenue. Seems to me, the best way to alienate your fans and lose money, is to bicker over the kind of money that most all of us will never see...

Just get it done, NFL...just get it done.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It would be such a huge mistake to not have a season next year. I just cant imagine the economic impact of not have the NFL. I know I have seen articles that say, oh no, we'll be fine, people will just spend their money on other stuff.

AND....we need to defend our fantasy football title, so there has to be a season next year.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
A big concern if there wasn't football would be the trickle down effect on all of the small businesses..restaurants, bars, hotels, employees...etc..

It's not all about the millionaires and billionaires...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
hobiecat said:
A big concern if there wasn't football would be the trickle down effect on all of the small businesses..restaurants, bars, hotels, employees...etc..

It's not all about the millionaires and billionaires...
True, but it's the rich and richer that have the cause and affect on the people that depend on them to get there ish together...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
hobiecat said:
Wow hobie, are you that sad McDaniels is gone? >:D or is it just the idea that you and I wear the same jersey?!?!?!

I don't think they'll strike/lockout....too much at risk at a time they need to make up for the last two years...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TheUkrainian said:
GFYOD...spin and posturing is a crucial part of negotiations.
Maybe, but I don't sense any real desire to get a deal done quickly on the part of either side. It feels to me like the run-up to the NHL lockout of a few years ago.

I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have already started fishing a lot on Sundays...I may never come back to football if they don't play next year! I am sure the NFL won't miss me but I will be disgusted if the mils and bils can't get together.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lucky7 said:
I have already started fishing a lot on Sundays...I may never come back to football if they don't play next year! I am sure the NFL won't miss me but I will be disgusted if the mils and bils can't get together.
Three of us split a pair of Avalanche season tickets for several years prior to the NHL lockout. None of us ever went back after they couldn't figure out how to divide billions of dollars and deprived us of hockey for an entire year.

I don't know if I could do that with football, though, but I sure will be tempted to try.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Hockey wasn't making billions like NFL billions. Hockey had to do it to become profitable. Football is already profitable, now they're just being greedy.

NBA is definitely heading down the NHL road...that league is a mess. They HAVE to clean it up.

The NFL is just being dumb now. They already have a good product, I can't see how much more they can tweak it to make it better...they're gonna mess up a good thing.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Hockey wasn't making billions like NFL billions. Hockey had to do it to become profitable.
Wrong. It was a fight over how to divide up $2 billion. That's a lot of dough. Billions, one might say. :D I know the NHL hasn't recovered all of its previous fans.

If the NFL can't figure out their economics, I hope it suffers the same fate. I know, it won't happen, too many lemmings and addicts among the NFL fans, but a guy can dream. :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
Holy **** D I am in full agreement,(scary stuff) baseball still hasn't recovered either. The TV cameras are pretty good at avoiding all the empty stands but they are there.
I could give a rats ass if all the pro sports were reduced back down to their 1960's status and the atheletes had to take a job in the off season.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Hockey wasn't making billions like NFL billions. Hockey had to do it to become profitable. Football is already profitable, now they're just being greedy.

NBA is definitely heading down the NHL road...that league is a mess. They HAVE to clean it up.

The NFL is just being dumb now. They already have a good product, I can't see how much more they can tweak it to make it better...they're gonna mess up a good thing.
Exactly, which is why I don't think they'll do it... especially not now.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Hockey wasn't making billions like NFL billions. Hockey had to do it to become profitable.
Wrong. It was a fight over how to divide up $2 billion. That's a lot of dough. Billions, one might say. :D I know the NHL hasn't recovered all of its previous fans.
Actually, not wrong. The NFL is far and away the most profitable of all the sports leagues. Hockey's most valuable team (Leafs) is half as valuable as the AVERAGE NFL team. http://ryanspoon.com/blog/2008/07/13/the-nfl-is-worth-more-than-nba-mlb-average-franchise-worth-960-million/

So, in the grand scheme of things, yeah they were fighting over 2 billion..between 30 teams, with superstars with high salaries (no cap at that time), thus they weren't going to survive as a league and continue to be profitable.

The NFL is THE MODEL league. If they (owners and players) push too hard, and this thing spirals out of control, they will only be shooting themselves in the foot. I have to believe they can see this clearly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts