Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

NGC Sports

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Derajaman 
#1 ·
As I look through my BassMaster and my NA Fisherman magazines, I always see ad's for this company in the back. They kind of look like articles but you know they are just ad's.

The way they pump up their different lures and baits seems kind of over the top but then again, you have to wonder, do they really work?

The prices are kind of high but then again, I am sure the fish in our area don't really see these things as much as other more popular lures.

I have been debating on whether to buy something from them to try it out but still kind of leary.

Any opinions?

http://www.ngcsports.com/index.cfm?s=FISHI

#2 ·
These lures seem to fall in the "ooooh shiny" department. kinda like the lures mentioned in an earlier post.

But then again, a daredevil looks nothing like anything I see in the water but they work.

Maybe if the price of them or gas comes down I might be able to try one.

Dan

#5 ·
Eric,

I looked them over. As far as quality of product, I'd say that they look as though they'd be very effective. Unfortunately, priced at $10.00/each, they are not at all affordable. In fact, there's stuff out there probably "as effective" for about $5.00/each or a buck or so less.

G
#6 ·
bargain fishing gear always empties my wallet. i was at dicks and they hae a canoe mostly full of softbaits all for less than a dollar. i saw the commercial on tv so i bought the walking worms for 50 cents. i need to try them

#7 ·
And as he stumbled across the ad, he (1eyeReD) said: "OOOOOH SHINEY" and then like Smigel from Lord of the Rings, he follows up with, "preciousssssssssssss" and bought the damn lure.

I bought the KickTail

$35.95, if not, more for 3 including shipping and handling. The action of the lure is great, but I haven't yet seen any tallies added to the catch rate. My conclusion?

I don't even use this lure enough to know if it works or not! If I get out there and I start catching fish on something, I'll stick to using whatever it is that I'm using at the time. Unfortunately, I haven't even got past the roostertails, kastmasters and jigs. But yeah, I wont give up just yet. I'll use this lure on a 'big wiper' lake where big wipers are more numerous. Maybe somewhere like N Sterling, Bonny or Pueblo or something. Maybe Jackson too, but that one last dude probably took the last big wiper. Oh well, there should be some more in there. Just got to find the one with my name on it. Hopefully, for the KickTail's sake, a wiper with the KickTail's name too LOL!

#8 ·
Don't feel bad 1eyeRed, that thing may just work. I remember feeling sorta like a sucker for buying th Banjo Minnow, but it just looked too darn sexy not to work. I got it and it SLAYED the bass and even SLAYED some lunker trout. Sometimes those lures aren't too good to be true.

#9 ·
kpetro said:
Don't feel bad 1eyeRed, that thing may just work.  I remember feeling sorta like a sucker for buying th Banjo Minnow, but it just looked too darn sexy not to work.  I got it and it SLAYED the bass and even SLAYED some lunker trout.  Sometimes those lures aren't too good to be true.
Woah damn, I remember having those too!!! That's gotta be one of my late night infomercial favorites! Dude, I caught some of my biggest bucketmouths using the Banjo Minnow! Too bad they don't make em no more... ?? They don't right?

#10 ·
I don't think they still make the authentic Banjos, but I did just buy these things called hitchhkers. They're the part that screws into the minnow. With those, I can pretty much use whatever soft plastic and hook I want. I haven't used them yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

#20 ·
Going back to talking about the Banjo Minnow, I actually still have some of the original minnows in my tackle box still...I probably got them back in middle school and I just finished my sophmore year of college. For those how have said that they have caught fish on the minnows what was your technique? I've never really used them just because I've never caught anything on them. I was reading that in murkey water they are no better then any other lure since they are based on sight. Almost any lake that I fish is very murkey, can't see more then a few feet so I can see a little as to why I haven't caught anything with them. But it sounds like you guys have had some luck with them but that might have been in some pretty clear water. It would be kind of nice to actually use them instead of them just sitting in my tackle box hahaha. If you have any good techniques let me know :)

#21 ·
I've caught big rainbows, some browns, and many brookies on them, as well as largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, northern pike, and even walleye. They are pretty good lures, but overall the zoom superfluke kicks its ass in every category possible. The worst thing about the banjos is their hooking system sucks and they don't cast for $hit.

remember this, ZOOM SUPERFLUKE!!! Trust me ;)

#23 ·
TroutFishingBear: How do you rig your flukes? When I caught the few bass I had today on the banjo it was just the small minnow and the hook, nothing else. Do you fish the flukes that way too or do you weight them? Also I know you say the banjo hook system sucks, but it didn't seem too bad for me, but I'm guessing then that you don't hook your flukes that way, you probably do them weedless (semi-texas style)? I have no chartreuse small minnows left so I think I need to get some more like them but I guess flukes are in order.

#25 ·
ok, thats basically what I was doing today. I know its harder to set the hook though when the bait is texas rigged isn't it? Like today I was always having the problem of having quite a bit of slack in the line cause of how the twitching works. The reason I was able to set the hook on the ones I had today was because I actually saw the fish come up and take the lure, never really feeling it, and setting the hook. Is it really difficult to set the hook like on the flukes when you can't see when the fish hits it? The water I fish isn't clear at all, its maybe 1 to 2 feet of visibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.