Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were on the lake at 8 AM, on the other side of the
"No Wake" area below the Beach area. The lake wasn't very crowded at all.
At first, we weren't getting any bites (fishing with nightcrawlers), so we moved closer to the Heron Rookery area............that is where all the action started!!
We hauled in 2 Rainbow trout (13 1/2" and the other 15" and 2 Brown trout (18 1/2" and the other 14"). We had three rods in the water. We got the two Rainbow's within three minutes of each other. As I was taking the hook out one, my wife was pulling in the other one.
We caught all four in a matter of 45 minutes. We were in 29 feet of water. Heck, we only saw a couple of boats fishing in that area of the lake.
After a number of bites, and the loss of one trout, we decided to cruise around the lake a couple of times and then headed home.
It was a better day than last weekend, when we didn't even get any bites at all.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Sounds like a great morning fishing Cowboy!

I went out this evening after the rain. I fished along Massey draw. (very few boats on the water, no problems with wakes) using lead-core with a crawler harness got one walleye in about 20-22 feet of water just by the Massey draw inlet. Got another but lost it about 10 minutes later just south of there. Later my rod bent about 90 degrees and when I was reeling it in I said to my wife, "get the net this is a big one!" it felt heavy and I mean heavy. Got it closer and discovered a 10 in smallie that was foul hooked and I was reeling it in sideways! :'( I was a bit disappointed, I thought I had a 5 pound walleye!

Overall a great evening, was out from 7 till 9, cool weather, few boats on the lake, nice and quiet.

On the 14th, I will need Cowboy to show me how to catch trout, I don't get too many there.

Dan

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan

We don't have to wait until Aug. 14th to tell you how we have caught those nice trout, it is fairly simple:
10 lb. line
Single hook with a Canandian Nightcrawler (from Wal Mart)
Two split-shot (not sure about weight, but small ones)
We put the split-shot about 2 feet above the hook
No casting, just a little swing of the rod, straight out from our boat
And, we let the line go down and down (don't know how far, but it wasn't to the bottom
Where we were, our sonar said we were in 30 feet of water
and showed between 9 and 12 fish coming by at a time.
We tightened up our line on the rods, put the rods in the holders and waited.
That was all we did.
Time of day, water temperature at the time.........don't know exactly what it was, but the trout were definitely biting.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan

Our sonar was saying that we were in between 27 and 30 feet of water. The sonar was showing fish running in schools from about 5 feet down to around 25 feet down.
Cody

1 - 7 of 7 Posts