Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my four-year old nephew fishing for his first time Tuesday and was hoping to find a place close by where he can catch some fish pretty easily -- bluegills, perch, stocker trout, etc. -- probably by fishing a worm under a bobber.

I live in Greeley but know there's no fishing around here, so I'm trying to think of a place around Fort Collins or Loveland. Anyone caught any bluegill, perch or sunfish lately at any of the ponds in the area? Frant Easement in Windsor used to be a great place for kids to catch a bunch of bluegill but for some reason the bluegills have seemed to disappear in recent years.

I went and "scouted" the panfish fishing at Riverbend yesterday with my other nephew (10) who fished a worm under a bobber but had no luck (we weren't there long though). Right now I'm getting ready to head to Boyd to see how fast the action is for stocker trout (the 18-22 inch ones ;) ).

So if anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you just want to catch sunnies goto the Northwest clear pond at Riverbend. They have to be biting in there. Last year, my son averaged 1 fish a minute. Enter the parking area off of Timberline. It is the ponds DIRECTY south of the parking area.

If I can, I will try and pop out there this evening and see what it looks like for you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just heard today that the lake/pond in the city park in Fort Collins has lots of stocked trout and pan fish.

I am not sure where it is, but it is worth a look.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lots of panfish in City Park Lake (take 14 (Mulberry) all the way into town from the freeway...past Shields...You can't miss it. I've only fished for Largemouth there (caught some decent ones) but I always see worm and bobber people fishing there. It would probably be nice for kids because there's bathrooms and a park nearby.

North shields pond (on shields north of vine and just north of the Poudre River ) is a natural area like riverbend and has a small pond with a fishing dock...again, I fish for bass in there but see lots of panfish. Just south of north shields pond and immediately north of the river (still on shields) to your right is Mc Murray natural area which has a couple ponds that have panfish as well (especially the one furthest east. You can't see these from the road...it's a little hike to them (maybe 5-10 minutes) but the Mc Murray sign is right north of the poudre off shields. you have to park on the side of the road for this one.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
too bad your post wasn't up til 2, I was over at Riverbend this afternoon around 12 but didn't think to see if the sunfish were biting yet in the turtle pond. I'll have to check the next time I'm over but I don't think they are active quite yet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry I didn't make it out but my friend confirmed that they are biting at City Park....

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys! I had a great day at Boyd for stocker trout (check the fishing reports for more info) and also saw a lot of panfish along the shoreline. So I think I'll be heading back there tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my nephew, Deondre, and my sister (who hasn't been fishing for years) into some fish. If not, I'll check out some of the spots you guys mentioned. Thanks again, guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts