Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadnt been catfishing in a while so I decided to give it a go last night at Hayes on Ft. Carson cause everyone I talk to there says it has big catfish in there. I decided chicken liver and night crawlers would be on the menu tonight. I got there around 8 and the full moon was up on the very clear night with no wind. I rigged up the worm first and casted it out went back to the jeep (3ft away) and started rigging up the next pole when the bells sounded ran back down picked up the line got another hit set the hook. 12" stocker GRRRRR. Threw another worm on and put it out again, once again as I got back to the jeep the bells went back and caught another stocker. Decided to move the cast to the far right of where I was fishing. went to the jeep rigged up the chicken liver on a circle hook casted it out and it fell off. Rerigged casted it out and as I was tightening up the line got a hit waited for another and ther was none reeled in and bait was gone, I probably did this 6 times before switching to a trouble hook. Every cast I had hits and couldnt hook them, and I couldnt figure out why. After 3 or 4 hits the hook would be bare. Starting to wonder if my hook wasnt sharp enough it I put to much liver on and what not. Got snagged broke the line rerigged, this time I added a rubber band to the hook to help keep the liver on. Next cast, new hook (smaller) I hook up with one. 10 inch catfish, WTH these guys are little!!!! I continued with the hopes to hook a bigger one but was only able to land 1 more even smaller then the first one before I broke my line again and was to cold and a little tired so I called it a night. At the rate I was feeding those cats they will be big soon. I will probably try again a couple more times before it gets to cold to stay out there at night.
Only one other guy fishing with me he was a kewl older guy with one arm named Bones... He was slow retrieving a night crawler and was catching some larger stocker trout. I reeled in a couple crawdads and gave them to him along with a few I caught up close to shore.

Only have one picture that came out.. cant focus camera in the dark when taking pictures of yourself.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
12' stocker
a 12 footer dam that a big stocker should got a pick would have been a nice match for that huge cat you had on the trailer...lol

F

·
0 Posts
Have to admit thats funny ...hahhahahaahhahahah....those cats are tricky before you start fishing for catfish people build them up like stocker trout .....I remeber one friend telling me "catfish are so easy to catch its like bluegill" then shortly after telling me the only place he's been catfishing was a pay pond in texas ......Colorado channel cats are hard to consistantly catch!!!!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
ePic-I know Bones-he always parks down by the water pipe in a van-he's a good guy. He puts his time in on that lake and loves to fish at night-he can tell you some stories about the big ones that got away and the big ones he's landed. I watch him cast out and then put that rod between his legs to reel it in and its kind of neat to see he doesn't let only having one arm keep him from the fun.

The wildlife dept put a bunch of small catfish in Haynes and Townsend last year-its gonna get good in a year or two-problem is, with all those little ones I think they get to your bait before the big ones can.

Bones will tell you cut baitfish like those blugill in there are the best way to get the bigger cats. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kirbydog said:
ePic-I know Bones-he always parks down by the water pipe in a van-he's a good guy. He puts his time in on that lake and loves to fish at night-he can tell you some stories about the big ones that got away and the big ones he's landed. I watch him cast out and then put that rod between his legs to reel it in and its kind of neat to see he doesn't let only having one arm keep him from the fun.

The wildlife dept put a bunch of small catfish in Haynes and Townsend last year-its gonna get good in a year or two-problem is, with all those little ones I think they get to your bait before the big ones can.

Bones will tell you cut baitfish like those blugill in there are the best way to get the bigger cats. ;D
I was thinking of using cutbait.. next time I think I will float some out there.... was thinking of heading down along the riprap and give it a try on that side.
Bones's fishing machine is the bomb, he even offered to share his hot chocolate, I didnt have a cup in the jeep :(

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Guy at Lathrup Park was telling me that a piece of stocker Trout is hard to beat for Catfish bait.
He was fishing HorseShoe Lake at the park.
Trout is good bait at Pueblo too.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
earplug said:
Guy at Lathrup Park was telling me that a piece of stocker Trout is hard to beat for Catfish bait.
Unfortunately it is illegal to use stocker trout as bait here. Here is the rules on what fish can be used as bait:

(b) The only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive
or dead) by seining, netting, trapping or dipping are minnows (except in ?c? below), bluegill, hybrid
bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow
smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch. It is illegal to
take, possess or harvest for private or commercial use as bait threatened or endangered species or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations.
Thats State regulations not Ft. Carson ones.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
ePiC said:
earplug said:
Unfortunately it is illegal to use stocker trout as bait here. Here is the rules on what fish can be used as bait:

(b) The only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive
or dead) by seining, netting, trapping or dipping are minnows (except in ?c? below), bluegill, hybrid
bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow
smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch. It is illegal to
take, possess or harvest for private or commercial use as bait threatened or endangered species or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations.
Ok, but I have to disagree with you. According to the regs you qoute here it does not prohibit using trout as bait, but prohibits a method of take. The prohibited methods of take for all species except those listed are; "by seining, netting, trapping or dipping". Therefore if you take a stocker or any other legal to take fish by legal means you can use it as you desire as long as it is not prohibited in the specific water.

Make sense? I can catch bass using scented worms (until the first of the year) on the west slope. I can then use the legally caught fish or parts there of as bait where legal. I cannot net or seine bass to use as bait though.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan said:
ePiC said:
earplug said:

Ok, but I have to disagree with you. According to the regs you qoute here it does not prohibit using trout as bait, but prohibits a method of take. The prohibited methods of take for all species except those listed are; "by seining, netting, trapping or dipping". Therefore if you take a stocker or any other legal to take fish by legal means you can use it as you desire as long as it is not prohibited in the specific water.

Make sense? I can catch bass using scented worms (until the first of the year) on the west slope. I can then use the legally caught fish or parts there of as bait where legal. I cannot net or seine bass to use as bait though.

Dan
I guess that never registered.. because it was in the 4. USE AND COLLECTION OF BAIT FISH: and that was the only point that stated any species of bait fish and nowhere else in the rules does it state baitfish. I just over read it. Kewl good looking out Dan.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
this has been corrected in next years regs

from http://www.coloradofisherman.com/docs/2006Chapter1FishingFinalDraft.pdf

towards bottom of page 5

(#104, cont?d)
G. Take, Possession and Use of Fish, Amphibians, Mollusks and Crustaceans for bait,
personal or commercial use

2. The only fish species allowed to be taken and used for consumption or personal use as bait
(either alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping, or dipping are minnows, bluegill,
hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch
and rainbow smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow
perch.
it used to be ambiguous but not any more, well after the first of the year attleast

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I had to tell them to correct that after Dan corrected me. :p

hehe just kidding

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Well, I guess that means the next 3 months you just gotta go out and slay them!

So here is a question?

If I catch a bunch of stockers by hook and line before the new regulation goes into effect I can still use them after the regulation goes into effect?

After all when I caught them it was a legal means......Or is this just hijacking a thread?

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As far as I know there are no grandfather clauses in fishing regulations so I/m goin have to say no to that one.

C

·
0 Posts
First of all, gotta give a high five to born2fsh for that slam. It was really mature.

More importantly, ePIC, did you try other baits? I have found that a variety of baits is really important for cats. Sometimes a sitting bait doesn't do as well as live bait, which sometimes draws aggressive strikes from otherwise dormant fish. Also try different rigs: try some on the bottom, move to a rig and float that will get you bait in the iddle of the water column, and try some floats on top. Cats are finicky and you just have to try different things like when you are bass fishing and try different lures.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
catmann29 said:
More importantly, ePIC, did you try other baits? I have found that a variety of baits is really important for cats. Sometimes a sitting bait doesn't do as well as live bait, which sometimes draws aggressive strikes from otherwise dormant fish. Also try different rigs: try some on the bottom, move to a rig and float that will get you bait in the iddle of the water column, and try some floats on top. Cats are finicky and you just have to try different things like when you are bass fishing and try different lures.
No all I used were worms and chicken liver on bottom.. I did try worm on a float but caught trout, II switched it to chicken liver and after about 45 mins of it drifting I pulled it back in. I did try a number of different bottom rigs with dropshot, modified dropshot, egg sinkers, pinch on weights, also a cork float to keep the crawdads off. I was getting hits on almost every cast but it seems they were mostly small cats hitting the liver and making it fall off the hooks, when I set the hook. I'm going out tomorrow after work, during the day see if I can do a little better. Will try some stink bait, chicken liver, bluegill cutbait (cant fish live fish on Ft. Carson) and of course night crawlers. Taking a friend so we will probably target trout too.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Dan said:
Well, I guess that means the next 3 months you just gotta go out and slay them! 

So here is a question?

If I catch a bunch of stockers by hook and line before the new regulation goes into effect I can still use them after the regulation goes into effect?

After all when I caught them it was a legal means......Or is this just hijacking a thread?

Dan
also i believe that the reg booklets or not full print versions of the regs and while the current reg booklet is ambiguous i think you could still get popped

1 - 17 of 17 Posts