Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been out on Pueblo?
Been thinking about getting the Kayak out on the lake when its not so hot.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Earplug,

I had been out in my yak at least once a week for the past month up until last week. Walleyes were great until the shad "explosion" a few weeks back. Did pretty good on smallies as well. The heat, wind and sun were a little tough mid-day, but not unbearable if you dip your hat in the water every few minutes. :thumb:

PM me and we can meet up when the temps cool off a bit if you want.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Night fishing

I don't deal with heat well.
Just curious if there is a night bite thats worthwhile?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Mike,

Only fished Pueblo at night a couple of times-best bite for me was evening until the sun went down. Never stayed much after sunset.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Earplug, I fished the south marina area twice after sunset. Both nights were earlier this summer and the 'eyes were hitting both times up until I left at around 10 pm.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
No ones gonna mention wiper?!?! I've seen wiper caught there mid day but also caught them at like midnight. It's always worth a shot!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shall go fish. Kirbydog, want to try a foot powered Kayak?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No ones gonna mention wiper?!?!
LMAO. Whomp, I can't post about something I haven't yet caught this year. They are there as well, but I haven't been fortunate enough to have the yak towed around by one..... YET. But I am looking forward to some of that action for sure.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Not near as many wiper in there anymore But they have stocked 1.3 million fry in the last two years. But only 1-2 % will survive to catchable size.
Greg Austin and I met with DOW about stocking Pueblo like they are stocking the northern lakes. To give you an example. North Sterling got 1 million fry and 50,000 1-2 inch fingerlings this year. Jackson got 500,000 fry and 50,000 fingerlings. They now have a clean source of fry from both Oklahoma and Texas to trade for. But they do not want to upset the walleye fishery at Pueblo. They put a bunch in John Martin this year also. I was shocked they gave us the numbers for all the front range lakes!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up fishing the Mid-island area this evening and caught a Dink SMB and a Walleye. Water is still stained and mid-island has 26 feet of 76' water on top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts