Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time last night putting together a smaller box for nightime fishing off the dam at Cherry Creek, Chatfield and maybe Bonny this spring. JUst curious what everyone else uses for nightime Eye's?  My biggest moonlight eye was 27"s. Been trying to hit the 30"mark for 7 years now.

Pretty much the same stuff as last year!

Floaters:

1. #13 Rapala's
2.  5" Floating Super Rogues (casts great, and only dives 3 feet)
3.  5" Jointed Thundersticks  (only have two left) :mad:
4.  Bomber Long A

Suspending Jerks:

1. 4 1/2" Rogues
2. #14 Husky Jerks
3.  #12 Husky Jerks
4. X-Raps (didn't really give them a fair shot last year)

3/4 oz Rattle Traps

Swimbaits:
1.  4 and 5" STorm baits
2.  5" Berkley Swim Shads
3   5" Kalin grubs

Will also try some big Flukes this spring! What does everyone else use?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Neal it looks like the only thing you are missing is a floating jighead with a big minnow on it 5 ft from the bank of the dam!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Neal-You are right to put the emphasis on suspending jerks and minnow baits for nightime eyes. I am guessing that 90% of my early spring, pre-spawn eyes comes on suspending jerks-whether its daylight or nightime. I like the LC pointer 78 and 100 and the 90 staysee but also fish Rogues. Once that water temp hits low 40's its on!!!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kirby, you must fish the Staysee from a boat? I have a couple of Lucky Crafts also but I don't think I could stomach losing a 16$ crank at Cherry Creek, LOL.

Mcfish, where do you get big minnows? And what size do you consider big?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SLAYERFISH said:
My buddy fishes CC alot at night and swears by those big rainbow looking swimbaits. I saw the pics,they work!

Catfish like them also!!!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Id say X-raps and Husky Jerks. Ill be out there(CC) at night this year aswell. Anyone know when their planning on putting the nets in?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I stick with suspending jerkbaits or lipless cranks during the prespawn. X-Raps, Husky Jerks, and Rogues are my favorites. If those aren't working try throwing a lipless crank and burning it back along the rocks, I caught a lot of fish last year that way. It doesn't make much sense in cold water but it worked, what more can i say? Good luck on the 30 inch walleye Neal, I'm still trying to reach that mark as well. ???

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have to admit that I have not used the minnow method here in CO. When I was much younger and boatless in NE we would buy the 3 or 4 in minnows/chubs and throw them very close on the bottom while we were throwing rapalas and twister tails. It worked very well. We also would throw lighted bobbers rigged with minnows.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Are these walleyes actively searching for shad or not? If not, what are they searching for to eat?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I know alot of times it has nothing to do with weather or not their eating it has more to do with you pissing them off. I know when fishing for Salmon in Can. they bite cause your in their space and they want you out. It has nothing to do with them eating. Im guessing most fish have this same type manner.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fishinguitars said:
hey Neal,

when do you start heading out for walleyes at night? 
Last Spring I started about the first week of march and went about once a week after the spawn. I had a good trip to Bonny also around the first of May. Cherry Creek is a hard nut to crack for me, but I keep trying. My two best fish both came from Glendo. One of them swallowed a 6" Floating Rebel all the way to his nuts, LOL.

I'm ready Collie, you say the word!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used to fish Cherry Ck alot,starting about fifteen years ago.  I used to walk the dam at night casting 1/8 oz jigs with mister twister type grubs or ring worms starting around mid February. I would also throw #9 rainbow rapalas or thunderstick juniors.  I would usually catch a few males but never tied into any pigs in the spring.  Twice fished with guys who caught females ,one was 12lb.  The key was and still is, fishing next to the rocks.  95% of the fish i catch at night are within 10 ft of shore. Walking the rocks is brutal and I no longer do it, but a few times a year I hit the creek at night trolling cranks.  My best baits are still rainbow rapalas. I've found that I catch a pig about every third trip out at cherry ck.  You just have to put in your time.Sometimes they want #9's, sometimes it is #11's or even #7's.  If I don't get hit with those 3 sizes, I start changing colors then changing to thundersticks and rogues.  The lure is not as important as location.  i need to be bumping the rocks to consistently catch fish at night.  If i'm not busting the lips off the rapalas once in awhile. I'm not catching fish.  The other lure to try at night is the rattle trap. I've had some great nights casting them parallel to the rocks.Good Luck.
Gary B

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great info Gary...walking Creek and Chatfield in the dark with no light was brutal...specially Chatfield those little ankle breaking rocks that are about shoe sized and move on you...didnt want to use a light and spook the eyes as you say that would get almost on shore at times...

And welcome!...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gary is right about how shallow they get. I saw Eric catch one right as he was lifting his crank out of the water. There was swirl and the fish was on! I actually sprained my ankle pretty bad there one night :mad:

I have also caught some decent walleyes's and bass fishing around the rock jetty by the marina later in the summer. Baitfish are attracted by the Marina lights. I got a 23" Eye right under the floating ramp on a 3/4 oz Trap a couple of years ago there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Neal/CO said:
Gary is right about how shallow they get. I saw Eric catch one right as he was lifting his crank out of the water. There was swirl and the fish was on! I actually sprained my ankle pretty bad there one night :mad:

I have also caught some decent walleyes's and bass fishing around the rock jetty by the marina later in the summer. Baitfish are attracted by the Marina lights. I got a 23" Eye right under the floating ramp on a 3/4 oz Trap a couple of years ago there.

Floating Ramp?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes. I think the floating ramps go in around the 1st of May? I have probably caught about a dozen nice largemouths along that stretch also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts