Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several lakes will close, either permanently or duing part of the year, according to today's newspapers if Referendums C & D don't pass. Permanent closures include Spinney, Bonny, Harvey Gap, Barr Lake and others. No fishing at these lakes at any time. Part-time closures, which probably means no ice fishing, include 11 Mile, Trinidad, Stagecoach, Rifle Gap, and others.

Politics aside, this is bad news for Colorado fishing if it happens.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Denver Post, front page story. I had the same reaction, but the closures actually were announced by the Governor. The list of state parks is on page 21A.

It was a good pun!

·
Registered
943 Posts
i thought the lottery paid for these places ??? what are they doing with all that money ??? we can pay for a luggage system that doesn't work or water the states lawns while it is raining but we can,t pay for parks even though the lottery and entry fees were supposed to pay for it. i have to live within a budget and when the cost of living goes up faster than my pay i have to prioritize my spending. why shouldn't the government ???sorry this just pisses me off

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
The state's ability to keep up with the rising costs of services is hampered by the Tabor amendment. Hell,the state needs an extra 100 million a year just to keep up with rising fuel costs!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can not tell me that it costs too much to run 11 mile. This is just me talking, but they barely have anyone working out there to begin with, and thay dont get paid squat. With camping fees, park fees, license fees, they should at least break even. AMAZING !!!!

Chris

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
It dont matter what it costs to run 11-mile-When the state gets pinched the first programs to go are recreation type stuff. Actually I,m all for a sign at 11-mile that says "enter at your own risk" and get rid of all the ranger guys. But that aint likely to happen!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
If the funds are not coming in, then the cuts that are made will definitely be something that the public sees. Just like when education funds are cut, teachers are affected -- not the top level administration. It all boils down to politics and what is necessary to make sure the cuts are noticed.

Having said that, I imagine that keeping these lakes running is no cheap task. There is stocking, taking care of the grounds, infrastructure improvements like roads, ramps and docks, etc.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i agree with you on that one slayer but i ithought that the lottery paid for open space and state parks and only those things. and i know for a fact that lottery sales have not gone down. ???

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just my two cents...this is all just a scare tactic to get you to vote for a tax increase.

If C&D doesn't pass there may be some cuts and a few closures but it sure as heck won't be Spinney, Bonney, and Harvey Gap. These are state fisheries that Colorado can't afford to lose...especially Spinney Mountain!!!

What the heck is going on with this state's Wildlife Management? Didn't they just get approval for a 35% increase in license fees?

Let's open some books and see just where these $$$ are going. I understand operating these places is not exactly cheap but shutting lakes down is NOT the answer!

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Lottery proceeds pay for various projects all over the state,local,and city stuff. The lottery has nothing to do with the day to day expenses. Besides its NOT a tax increase.

·
Registered
374 Posts
its amazing to me that colorado boasts its recreation to every other state as being the best there is.then if the c&d crap dont pass they take it away???bull dung,plain n simple.
those reservoirs and parks make MILLIONS each year,they have no right to tell any of us that dont.between chat,cherry creek,and aurora they could support all of colorado's lakes and parks.most of the damn workers in these parks are volunteers anyway,or retirees makin minimum wage.
this does not make sense. ???

·
Registered
943 Posts
the supporters say it will go to healthcare( i'll bet they won't help pay my health insuance payment) schools which schools? and what are they going to do? i thought my property taxes paid for school ???

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I'll gladly trade my 100 buck refund (average) to pay for roads and parks and education.If that 100 bucks is gonna break you,you'd prolly be on food stamps anyway. Of course,they'll do away with that program also!

·
Registered
374 Posts
i guess the only thing we can hope for is other people vote the way we are.i just read the paper and it seems theres alot to lose.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i am just saying i want to know where is the money going? they name things they need it for but no specifics. i am sick of politicians saying they want to fix this or that but won't tell you how. its like a blank check. how are they going to be held accountable for what they do with the money? a report after they spend it? that is a load of crap.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear you about the politicians, but this is serious. Slayer is right. If we vote C & D down, we lose some good fishing, not to mention roads, education, and other things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there somewhere online I can go to to see an outdoor financial statement.  I am very curious to see how much the state takes in from fishing and hunting tags, licenses, camping fees, parking fees, boat fees, lottery revenues, grants, foundations, etc, and exactly where it all goes.  In Missouri, I paid $12.00 this year for a fishing license.  That has not increased very much in the past 20 years.  I do not mind paying $$ for quality programs, I am just sick of outdoors folks being used as leverage, and a way to keep the fat cats in the tax cuts.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts