Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got out of the cold rain. Drove the rig and boat thru walls of rain and snow flurries last Sunday on way to Powell. I didnt want to hafta deal with hours of filleting so I stacked the odds against us. Fished from 9am till 4pm. Hot sun cloudless calm skies. And fish where no one else was fishing. I think there was a reason for that.:p Also picked the day after monsoonal rains had gully washed debris fields of brown crap and logs into impenetrable mats all over the lake.

Actually caught most of my fish and the largest ones fishing the debris fields near shore.

I was virtually the only boat fishing in Wahweap bay for 4 days. And was 1 of only 2 boats fishing in Navajo Canyon. Went all the way back to where the debris fields prevented any further movement.

I went there looking for eyes but only caught 1. The flatsofnobitemus were devoid of any life. Even fished well up into 5 feet of water but no love.

I was catching smallies anywhere there was a rock, and stripers if I searched for the schools. Found a huge school of bluegills but they were small.

So it wasn't a hardcore fishing trip and we had fun cruising in the Utah ocean.

Largest fish was a 6lb striper. Damn those things fight hard. Best lure was a 3" twister on a 1/4 oz lead head. Even got a catfish on it. Water temp ranged from 67-77 depending on location and wind.

Some meat-

The old fish dog-

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Beautiful place. I've only been twice. Rode our motorcycle to Bullfrog and rented a skiff for a day..didn't fish..just cruised around. Came back from St. George by way of Page on another trip. We were going to rent kayaks for a couple of days, but Yvette was sick as a dog. Cut the trip short and made the long drive home. Would like to be able to spend a week on the lake just checking it out and taking in the sights.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Looks like a nice striper. Water temp was 71 - 75 when I was there a few weeks back. The rain has kept those temps down.

About a month until my next trip.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Wow the water is up pretty high!

Yeah man, those stripers freaking THUMP! And they definitely fight well. Sucks it was tough fishing, but what a beautiful place to be if you have to struggle for a bite!

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow the water is up pretty high!

Yeah man, those stripers freaking THUMP! And they definitely fight well. Sucks it was tough fishing, but what a beautiful place to be if you have to struggle for a bite!
Yah its 20ft higher than last May. It was coming up at 4-6 inches per day while we were there.

I usually dont do well with rising water-:p

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Nice report Slayer. Good strategy on avoiding the hours of filleting.

Looks like a good time, I want to go cruise the Ocean of Utah sometime.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Looks beautiful out there! Reminds me of the flaming gorge, I have never been to powell. Too bad you didn't find more eyes

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found two. Maybe the wife has some more-

Navajo Canyon

Castle Rock

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Sounds like a "meh" trip fishing wise but the scenery was pretty cool? I was looking forward to see your 46 walleye bag... :biggrin1:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
DOGS.... lol!
Buddy was there a couple weeks back and did about as well as You...
But, beats s--t out of working...
Rising (flooding) water SUCKS...
Was gonna do Glendo next week but the water is flooding out all the "good" camping...
Plan B will need to be put into action...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Spool me once, shame on you... spool me twice... well, anyway...
looks like a nice trip.
I'm surprised that wasn't a stripper joke. Or maybe it was. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts