Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of weeks Kenny and I have been trying to milk this open water as much as we can for as long as we can. So far, we've been encountering some local rogue ice at night and @ Aurora... well, it can be quite frustrating this time of year from shore. The bite has been hit-or-miss to put it mildly. Today, we opted to take a different approach and hit Deckers, me with my spin gear and Ken with his spin and fly gear. We used to fish down there a ton until Kenny got his boat, since then we've only been a handful of times. Anyway, we arrived about 10:45 this morning and driving along the river we could see ice all along the shoreline and chunks floating everywhere! As we drove upstream into the "artificials only" section, the ice chunks disappeared but inevitably the long rod's appeared... everywhere! Water was low and the hole's were being mopped up with a quickness! Not being one's to crowd, we parked and went for a short but steep hike, only to find someone had beaten us to our destination. "Theeese are the breaks...", hiked back out and hit one spot on the way... nothin'. Decided to hit some of our old spots on the "anything goes" side to see if we could (a) get away from the crowds and (b) see if we could find some deep(er) runs. Worked on both accounts. We set up and threw spinners for a while and found out (the hard way) that the current behind the exposed rocks was actually clear ice and that the edges of the ice were a bit further out than we suspected. Kenny had a quick follow, but no take. No fish after an hour or so, I proceeded to donate 2 spinners to said ice and decide move upstream, Kenny stayed put and broke out the fly rod. I managed to hop-skip-jump to a big boulder in the middle of the river as I wasn't sporting waders today. (minor malfunction to mine this summer ;D) I look over the side of the boulder and it's almost a whopping 4' deep! YEEEAH! Tie on a Blue Fox (gold) and start working it downstream, through the pool, S L O W L Y and after about 30 mins., I'm watching my lure and see some movement behind it, then SWIPE! Hooked into a nice little 'bow. Took a quick pic,released and back to work.

About 15 mins. pass and I hear some splashing at the downstream end of the boulder I was on. I take a peek and can see that a fish has "high-centered" itself on the clear ice off the tail end of the boulder. I step up to get a better vantage point and I realize that there was a 2nd fish that had marooned itself along with that one! Nutz! After a couple of "Oh $hit!" moments on the ice, they both got back to safety! :eek: NO WAY was I moving off this rock now! ;) I continued to fish the same run for another 20 mins. and, again, I'm watching my lure come in as it's only running about 6" beneath the surface... When I see a whiteish belly come vertically up and hit it! As it takes it down, I notice the golden sides, it's a brown! Woohoo!!! (I haven't caught a brown in a minute ;D) Bring it to hand, pic and back it went. If you take a close look, it has it's partial breakfast still hanging out of it's mouth. (some kind of minnow)

After a while, Kenny came down, but that was it for the fish. By this time the sun had dropped far enough behind the hills that the air temp was dropping, so we decided to bail. Only 2 fish for the day, but that was just icing on a day that would have still been great just to be down there! Beautiful weather all day!!! And it's nice to know that I can still catch trout on purpose! :D :D :D We'll be back! Especially since Kenny has an agenda for that place now... and I ain't icing! >:D We got to the top of the canyon just in time to hear AZ. put it to 16-3 against the Broncos. We shoulda kept fishin'... :-X Stoopid Broncos! Here's some obligatory scenery pics...

Come on spring!!!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
sweet report, kinda looks like foxton canyon in the pics, im not sure if its the same river that is down in deckers or if thats a diff fork of the platte, i could be way off too....

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Was def a great day to be out! Even with the skunk, I still had an awesome time! I had almost forgotten how beautiful that place can be...

I was really surprised (kinda) by all of the other people down there...thought for sure one of our 'spots' would be open, it's a tough little hike to get in there, but nope!

Great day over all, I didn't get any pics, cuz I didn't want to drop my phone in the water... LOL Nice day out today, wish I could have played hookey!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nicely done! I love the plain gold Blue Fox spinners. One of my top lure choices when spinning for brown trout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts