Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished for a few hours today. Caught quite a few Rainbows from 14"-17" on the fly rod (probably a dozen or so). Also caught several other nice ones on the tube jig. They are spawning next to shore, so I released them all. No Lakers today....... Strange... Saw one idiot fishing with powerbait and I told him it was artificial flies and lure only. He tried to tell me that it wasn't live bait so I told him he better read the regulations or get a ticket...

I used a large adams dry fly with a black midge under it... It was about 50-50 dry to the midge. Some of the fish would come up and shy away from the dry fly then take the midge. It was really cool since I saw most of the takes in the clear shallow water.

Fun morning!

Tim

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I fished the N. Catamount from 9 till 2:30 with 2 of my friends and we caught one 13"rainbow. We had two other hits but that was it. We were fishing the far side between the dam and the first cove. I did talk to two men who were fishing from a canoe and said they had caught about eleven between them up near the inlet.
Congrqats for what you caught.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fish are not really in the feeding mode right now..... I think they are too interested in the spawning rituals. I really had to work for the ones I caught - Stealth and perfect presentation. Also, when you see them cruise by close to shore, have a rod with a small tube jig handy. Toss it out a few feet past them and let it slowly fall. Several of the ones I caught I watched come up and inhale the jig. I wouldn't of even known I had a strike had I not seen the fish...

Tim

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Thanks Tim. I saw alot of large trout cruising close to shore but they didn't hit anything I threw. However, I didn't try a small tube. Had a couple follow my kastmaster all the way to the surface but they never hit it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts