Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the fishing is so poor on this stretch of water? It seems like extremely nice trout habitat but I've never seen any fish in that water until yesterday and yesterday I saw like a total of 5 (including the ones I spooked) that were all 3". Only thing I can see is there doesn't seem to be much bug life. Did someone spill/poor a toxic chemical in the water or something?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't fished that area of the river but Denver Water runs a high flow from Dillon Reservoir down the river there, during the summer so it's colder than it probably should be and a higher flow than would be normally . Not the best situation for a productive trout stream.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a lot of heavy metals in there from old mining operations, some of them way up Guanella Pass. Kills the bugs and is pretty terrible for the fish as well. When Roberts tunnel is releasing it actually dilutes the heavy metals enough that the fish do ok, but if they shut it off there are almost always some fish kills.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for that!! I've always wondered about it when driving by, I just always thought it looked pretty fast too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts