Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

North Huraon bait & tackle closing

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  chris 
#1 ·
Droped by North Huron bait & tackle to get a few things today. Saw a sign that she was closing her doors as of the 17th of Sept. It looked like all items in the store are 20% discount. She had tons of lead and snagging hooks and other items. Walking around the store I noticed a bunch of new-old lures around. If you are looking for something you can't find at some of the big box stores go check it out.

The store is on Washington south of Thorton Parkway and Across from the Sun Honda dealer.

JT

#4 ·
i have to agree several years ago my favorite fly shop closed not sure if any of you knew about it george meyer. the lady who ran it was the greatest when she went out of business it was turely a sad day however i made out like a bandit have more flytying stuff then i will ever use and i even gave away a lot of it to my brother and brother in laws sad to see huron is closeing if any on goes in the next few days let me know if they have any sonic minnows left if they do i'll send my dad in to pick some up for me. went fishing several years ago could not keep the brookies off the small sonic minnow proably a 100 fish day or more.

#5 ·
Everybody laments the closing of the small mom and pop type stores and I'm sorry to see them close their doors too but its change and its the future. I really don't see how a small store can compete with the big boys on selection or price and I think its only a matter of time before they go the way of the dinosaur. I guess some will survive-fly shops mostly.

Personally I really like the big box stores-I can find most everything I want. And you can BS with the guys that work there about fishing just like in the smaller stores so........I'm OK with it.

#6 ·
remember that next time you go into the big stores and ask how the fishing is somewhere and you get a report that looks like it's out of the fishing and hunting news. a lot of these guys working in the big stores either have an attitude if you ask how the fishing is or they have to tell you how great a fisherman they are. i had to laugh once when me and my girl went in to one of the biggies and she was looking at musky baits because we were heading to horseshoe the next weekend. to watch the guy try to sell her a bunch of crap she didnt need was hilarious, she asked him what colors would be best in low light and at night and he told her that bright colors would work much better than darker colors at night, she already knew that dark colors were best because the fish see shadows and outlines at night not really colors,so she shut him down politely of course. i liked alot of the smaller stores, once you got to be a regular face there, they always had good advice. the guy at alpine angler spent like an hour with her showing her how to tie all the different bass rigs before when she decided she wanted to fish for bass, didn't try to sell anything just was nice enough to show her that stuff.

G
#7 ·
It sucks to see all the mom and pop shops close ....but if they treated there customers right they will always have a following ...I would gladly pay a mom and pop store a couple extra bucks for the down home feel of there store....Me personally I didnt really find any little tackle shops that had friendly people working there ...the bass shop of sheridan the guy has always been a prick to me....Bills live bait is awesome and he won't ever go under for the fact that he is a cool guy with great advise and provides a service no one else does .....I'm gonna be workin at bass pro shops and I'm gonna do my best to treat the customers like they are in a little shop ....

#8 ·
huron bait and tackle was a great store, it was just in a bad location, and the big stores were killing her, the old lady who owned the store was the nicest person, never pushy and was always willing to shed some advice on the fishing, i agree that people who work at sportsmans are jerks and give you the id try this crap, gander mountain is ok but overpriced, i like bills, and my favorite store is in granby budget tackle !!

#11 ·
Mustang said:
my dream is to have enough money nwhen im ready to retire so that i can open a lil mom pop type store and just be friendly and all that
Mustang that was my own personal dream for 40 years and I let other things get in the way and it never happened, so I hope you do it and I wish you great joy and satisfaction from it.

G
#13 ·
i called her today and she is just heart broken .....what a bum deal......its sad to see any local shop go under no matter what kind of shop hobby,tackle,repair, anything ....I was born in the wrong era I would much rather been living in a time where there were more small business owners and taking care of customers came first!!!!!where are my kids gonna buy there outdoor gear, or better yet where are they gonna buy anything . It seems like pretty soon huge companys are gonna own everything . I was thinking about this today sure shopping at walmart you save but at what cost . They import just about everything so not only are we losing local business but the factory work is going elsewhere also . Im gonna make it more of a point to look for the MADE IN USA sticker on everything I buy ....sorry for the long rant it was just sad to hear that old lady heart broken ....

#14 ·
Do whatever to be profitable, that is bussiness all about. The labor oversea is cheaper, that is the reason for the shifting. Is there any difference in "Made in USA" or "Made (by USA) in the other country"? Only the people get less paid in the other country and we are enjoying the lower price.

No offensive to anyone, just a thought.

#15 ·
lillupsd said:
  Only the people get less paid in the other country and we are enjoying the lower price.

No offensive to anyone, just a thought.
yeah but that "less money" is now out of our economy and not being spent here!

it might cost a bit more but when you buy stuff made in/by/and for america the money stays here

just like buying from the local mom and pop shops the money stays in your area not supporting some guy in NY or where ever the corporate head quarters are

if i can get a similar product here in westcliffe ill pay 10-15% more to suport the local guy/economy

#16 ·
There are two clothes washers in a store and they are both about the same-the only difference is one is made offshore and the other is made in the USA. And the one from the USA costs $100 more. Which one you gonna buy.

People have been voting with their pocketbooks for a long time. Its easy to say you want to support American made goods but when push comes to shove the overwhelming majority buy the one thats cheaper.

Its called human nature. We can say we're gonna support the small tackle shops but they are closing for a reason. And owning a small business doesn't make you a really great person. You might be but you might be an insufferable B too.

Welcome to the future. ;D

#17 ·
yep its the american way pay less for every thing but demand to be paid more for everything too

if it keeps going the US will be solely owned overseas

#19 ·
I look at it like this for a lot of years in this state we had little selection when a come to warm water fishing gear due to no large chain stores, and all I did was complain about it because the Mom and Pop places didn't carry it because it wasn't trout related. Now we have a great selection to choose from and even more to come soon and all I hear now is how bad it is for the small guy. I feel sorry for small shops, but for myself it comes down to spending less and fishing more they sertainly are not going to lower there prices for me so I can enjoy what I love to do. With prices of everything going up you have to choose and for me it comes down to spending less on tackle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.