Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
   Went to lake john for a few days! The fishing was hard but you could catch fish! The only thing was that they were small 9" or 20"+. Talked to a couple of DOW`s boys and they told me a problem they have up there? This summer the Park had a number of days in the 90 degree range! They said that the lakes up there warmed up to over 70 degrees! So here goes the North Park story again? Has any one heard any thing else about this? They said they thought that they might have lost several of stocking classes? The Park can't get a break! North Park lakes are the best fishing in the state as for as I'm concerned!!! Large Trout and no people to argue with!!! Good Luck Fishing!!!! ???

F

·
0 Posts
Re: North Park

I've wanted to take a trip of there for a long time now ....whats the fastest way to get up there?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Where are you leaving from. From Greeley, either Hwy 14 straight across, or go up to Larimie, then come back down past Cowdry. In the winter, we go through Wyo quite abit, Cameron pass (Hwy 14) can be slow,when weather comes in.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Take I-70 to Us-40 (berthoud pass),to Granby.Stay on 40 past Granby then take a right on COLO 125.Go to Walden.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
there is no fast way there, no matter which way you go it's like 3 hours.. we personally go up there almost every weekend in the winter and we always go through the poudre canyon, there seems to be less trafic especially early in the am. I-70 SUCKS going home with skier traffic. going through wyo is okay as long as you don't get any weather, in the flats by laramie when that wind starts whipping through the snow you can't see 10 feet in front of you. sometimes we hit weather in the poudre but it is usually just in a few spots. long drive through the canyon though if you get stuck behind a slo poke..

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
and as far as the fishing goes at lake john sometimes it is hit or miss, those lakes up there have gotten up to 70 degree temps in the summer every year for the last 4 years that i have been going up there, john and delaney both get that warm. have seen it on the fishfinders many times. last year we even saw the temps that high as early as may and june. i dont think it bothers the fish much, maybe the small stupid stockers, but i think the big boys go deep and just hang out until the water cools then they hit the shorelines, trust me there are plenty of big fish left in these lakes, they just aint stupid. i would worry about winterkill more up there than warm water temps as they usually get a buttload of snow on them lakes and john is soooo weedy. that has to just suck the oxygen out of the lake when the weeds are dying..

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Right before ice-on is a great time to hit Lake John.They are agressive and hungry,and on a cloudy or snowy day that place flat rocks!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Slayer is all wise,
John/Delaney's turn on late Oct/Nov.
I recall a few years ago fishing East Delaney in a pretty good snow and the water was cold. The fishing was so good we could not get out of the water. When I stood up
in the famous east delaney mud trying to get out my legs would not work adn I got stuck big time.
We caught a couple of bruisers out of John two weeks ago
at first light up shallow by the chokecherries.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
If I remember right,John freezes about the 10th of dec. or so.Early ice rocks also.The choke cherry spot is good,I also do well on the south end,theres a little dam there with a underwater ditch 30 ft? out and that place slays 'em.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
if you wait till the 10th of dec you are gonna miss probably 3 weeks or more of early ice if it stays cold up there.... we hit it the 2nd week of nov two years ago and the 3rd week of nov last year we probably could have even gone earlier. by the 10th we are usually driving the 4 wheelers out there. if it stays cold. usually if it's cold up there that ice will grow an inch a day. 3 years ago i checked out the lakes after elk hunting the reg 3rd season(NOV 8TH OR SO) john and the delaneys all were iced over(not real good) we were out there the next weekend fishing. last year we checked the second week of nov and the delaneys were wide open, the next weekend they were solid. it can happen pretty fast up there. they just need a couple of really cold and calm nights to freeze em up enough for them to lock up, then the rest of the week cold and it's fish on..

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Yeah,Jamie-I looked back through my fishing logs and we were there on Nov. 10th ice fishing! Might have to do the John early this year.I've had some excellent fishing at Cowdrey early ice also.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
cowdrey might be a sleeper. i met the guy last year, while i was fishing at delaney, that won the john tourney and that fish was a pig for such a small lake. i tried it a couple of times last year through the ice but the snow got drifted really bad there and made it really tough to get out on the lake with all my junk. all i caught was little fish, water wasn't as clear as the delaneys though. must be a secret to the big ones..

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I've caught a couple bos over 20" at Cowdrey,and a friend lost a bobo guesstimated at 7 lbs.I think the secret at Cowdrey is EARLY ice,cause it gets oxygen depleted and the fish get lethargic!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts