Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the Spring or Summer fishing is at either of these two water spots?
We are thinking about "expanding" our boating/fishing trips this coming summer.
Any info will be helpful.
Thanks!
Cody

M

·
0 Posts
North Sterling is one of my favorite lakes. Was there yesterday with CaptHook - we froze our butts off. I've never had an exceptional day there, but I have seen some huge fish pulled out of there and I've seen stringers of wiper carried out of there. I would say it's one to give a try.

As far as camping facilities I would say it is one of the cleanest State Parks I've been to. It can get very hot (and humid) in summer so bring sun screen and mosquito repellent.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So, how was the fishin?Should be a lot of trout to be had and maybe a walleye or wiper.Those chain of lakes should be hot this year.

lyn

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Bonny still low on water, call someone in the area before you go. Last I heard, you have to drag your boat to the water.

Spoke to a man at the "all eyes on walleyes" show on Sunday about Sterling that lives there. His reply was Wipers ok from April thur June at the inlet. Walleye's very slow last year and again this year. Seems there losing 20% game fish thur the dam at Spring run off and no screens under water to hold them back. Last year tournament at the lake produced 50 fish total between all the teams. Hard to find the Walleye's.

DOW is looking into adding these screens but no plans final yet.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Bonny marina and store (970) 354-7339

North Sterling State Park
24005 County Road 330
Sterling, CO 80751
(970) 522-3657

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. We mostly fish for Browns and Bows, but can try for the others. So, how is it for catching any good size Browns or Bows?
I did see one photo of Bonnie Lake and it showed a nice little pond of water across one of the roads. I was in the Colorado State Park website when I looked at the photo.
Do either Bonny or Sterling get as hot or hotter than Pueblo does during the summer?? We stopped at Pueblo Lake last year, just to look around, and we didn't see any shade at all around the lake.
Cody

M

·
0 Posts
The only shade you'll find at Sterling is under that Bimini top you're thinkin' of buying! :D

There are picnic table shelters but that's it and it does get very hot and humid in the summer (humid from the agricultural irrigation). As far as rainbows, I'd concentrate on from the dam before Memorial Day.

M

·
0 Posts
lynmack said:
So, how was the fishin?
CaptHook was the skipper on this trip - I'll let him post a report. All I have to say is we spent about 30 minutes in his truck trying to thaw before we pulled his boat out. It was darn cold!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it can get pretty warm (hot) out on the Colorado Plains during the summer. Not only that, we would have to spend the night at a motel if we went to either lake. It's just to far of a drive from Parker to go out there and come back in the same day. We aren't as young as we use to be.
We are planning on driving out to Sterling (without the boat), just to see what the lake looks like.
We were also thinking about "venturing" down to Pueblo Lake this summer, but we know that it can get pretty hot there during the summer also.
Well, we see what happens.
Cody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts