Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I've never been there but from what I can gather its a great place for Wipers.

Welcome to the board!!!!!

-Jay

·
Registered
124 Posts
Went there a few days ago, ended the day with 14 wipers landed on fly rod. I was along the back cove. Found them in the weeds.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Spoke to Bob at all All Pro Fishin and Sports and a customer came in saying water was 5' over normal level. Ranger stated that they are going to start letting water out soon. Hopeffly they will wait to after the CWA event next week.

Does anyone know what the bait situation is like at Sterling? Does the marina have bait in stock?

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
campingkids said:
Spoke to Bob at all All Pro Fishin and Sports and a customer came in saying water was 5' over normal level. Ranger stated that they are going to start letting water out soon. Hopeffly they will wait to after the CWA event next week.

Does anyone know what the bait situation is like at Sterling? Does the marina have bait in stock?

Thanks
Jim
They should. Was there last year and they had some shiners/crawlers & stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
gk said:
Went there a few days ago, ended the day with 14 wipers landed on fly rod. I was along the back cove. Found them in the weeds.
Pretty decent size?

·
Registered
67 Posts
In years past, the Marina also had live crawdads too. I've fished N.Sterling almost every year for the last 10 and have been skunked only one time. The bite for wiper is better right after the water gets to about 65 to 70 degrees, the cats get active a little later. Jigs tipped with minnows work best in early spring. Crawdad tails and mussles after that.
Watch the weather if you are on a boat because the spring storms can bring high wind and even funnels.
Best of luck...

D

·
0 Posts
campingkids said:
Thanks
Jim
Fished there yesterday - the marina has leeches $3.50/12 and shinners and worms. He plans on staying stocked thru the tourney weekend.

E

·
0 Posts
dkooser said:
campingkids said:
Thanks
Jim
Fished there yesterday - the marina has leeches $3.50/12 and shinners and worms.  He plans on staying stocked thru the tourney weekend.
Did you get any wipers?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Don In Denver said:
campingkids said:
Spoke to Bob at all All Pro Fishin and Sports .........
I thought All Pro had closed. Is it still open?
I stopped by there a few weeks ago to get some "minners". They were trying to sell the property and it fell through or they changed their mind about the sale. So he decided to stay in business. When I was there they had very little stock in the store and I got the last of their minnows on hand that day. I have not stopped by for nearly 4 weeks, since I still have at least 2 dozen of 6 dozen I bought.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
The time is near... That's all I have to say.. The voices in my head are chanting "Sterling, Sterling, Sterling, Sterling"

E

·
0 Posts
Great wiper hole, man! WE can take 'em there by the dozen on flies, and on shiny cranks...as well as the bait methods discussed previously...we tend to lean towards dad tails or white curly tail grubs..I'm jonsin to head up there too....WIPEYS fight SO MUCH BETTER than WALLYS!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
EyeGuy said:
WIPEYS fight SO MUCH BETTER than WALLYS!
Amen!!

But Wallys are more rewarding! Either way, the best thing is that they often inhabit the same bodies of water on the Eastern Plains.

·
Registered
193 Posts
OK I am new to the whole wiper thing caught a few in Utah but would love to take a wack at them in Colorado. What kind of flies do you use? What size Rod? and what kinda Line sinking or floating?

Fish....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts