Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beauty-full!!!

Went with some ol "Sterling Reservoir partners" (family members) and fished from boat. The lake is full and warm to the touch. Got the Tracker in the water round 08:30. Spent the 1st 2 to 3 hours looking for the wipers while catching the occasional stocker trout while trolling worm harnesses and shad raps. Looked for em at almost every 'usual' spot we remembered. It was hard doing so with the lake now so high. Found em back at The Point 200 to 300 yards out from land. About 13 to 16 ft of water. Depth flux due to long anchor rope (I don't know why we didn't shorten it either). Lots of snags from tough underwater vegitation. Man, that stuff sure does grow thick and strong in the summertime!

See the N. Sterling map for "The Point". It's a point that's actually named, The Point LOL!!

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/f_map_bare_CO_spring_wipers.html

Caught probably somewhere between 30 and 40 of em between the 4 of us then lost count. Too bad we only got to keep 1 cause that was the only one of size (16 inches). The rest were like anywhere from 12 inches to 14.999999 inches, but it's ok we had fun. Missed a bunch too. We stayed and just kept slayin' em on crawdad tails until we ran out. Went and grabbed a bag of mussels from the truck and killed more than half of that source too. They even occasionally hit chartreuse-white curely tail grubs. It was fun. Not the usual windy Sterling day and not the usual 19 to 23 inch wipers either... But I'm sure they're in there and some bigger. Just didn't find em that day. Oh yeah, and one more thing... The owner of the boat caught a hefty 5 or 6 lb channel catfish.

Fun, fun, fun..

1eyeReD

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Good Job Homie next time keep straight on highway 76 for another one and half than you wont worry about them being too small youll worry about being too big LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh HookNLine, I've got Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. Maybe I'll have to make you my guide LOL!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
when ever u wanna go just let me know like aleast 2 days in advance well go in my truck. Fish and go home no staying over ill do all the driving when every your ready.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kewl... I'll letchu know if I get one of those "spur of the moment" feelings to go.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hey man.

1eyeReD I heard youd be someone i know. Thats cool to see you still be out fishing and hunting and all. Me . my brother . sister and Mark went up to Sterling not too long ago. I think a week ago . We were there early in the morning from 4.30am to about 6pm that night. We circled the Whole lake and fished all the spots that we can from shore and caught little wipers from 13 to 14 inches ( 15 to 25 of them ). Mark reeled in a 17 inch walleye around noon while the other only fish that was a keeper was a channel cat at 10 LBs. Not much on that day. But the drive home .. BOy that was a story.. Hailed soo much they had to plow it off the highway.

steve

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woah... That stuff's scary man. I've seen people roll their cars in hail before. Tha'z why sometimes, it pays to drive like a granny. But that's kinda strange huh? Sterling went from big wipers to little wipers. Maybe that whole slot limit talk should now be considered for N Sterling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts