Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna fly fish for pike and I'm wondering if quail lake still had them?? if not 11 mile it is!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Go to 11 mile or spinney. I know this goes against the trend of not giving useful information here but..... North bay on spinney has been good to me for pike. I would guess that either the north end of 11 mile around sucker cove or whichever side is the most windy should have some.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
A lot of useful information on this site. People just shouldn't expect someone to hook the fish and hand them the rod so they can reel it in. USAF, I know you know about the north bay in Spinney...wrong time of the year to be fishing there. You'd be lucky to land some hammer handles there late in the afternoon right now.

Eleven Mile. Sucker cove is on the south west end of the lake. Weeds are brown and dead there now. The best place to launch a tube or toon would be Cross Creek if you're putting in at that area on the lake...but it wouldn't be my first, second, or third choice, if I was going out.

Sometimes no information is better than poor information...

Dead weeds move the fish. There's just not enough oxygen around dead weeds. This time of year, in my opinion, you need to fish edges and transitions. Banks with a shelf that drops off into deeper water, rocks, transitions from large rocks to gravel and deep weed lines that drop off into deeper water...where the weeds still hold some green in fifteen to twenty feet of water. You'll want to use a full sink line with six to eight inch flies. Water is colder and they're making eggs right now. They're looking for large slow moving baits. If you find one good one now, fish the area hard. Larger pike school up at this time of the year. You might find four or five good fish in an area 100' by 100'.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
A lot of useful information on this site. People just shouldn't expect someone to hook the fish and hand them the rod so they can reel it in. USAF, I know you know about the north bay in Spinney...wrong time of the year to be fishing there. You'd be lucky to land some hammer handles there late in the afternoon right now.

Eleven Mile. Sucker cove is on the south west end of the lake. Weeds are brown and dead there now. The best place to launch a tube or toon would be Cross Creek if you're putting in at that area on the lake...but it wouldn't be my first, second, or third choice, if I was going out.

Sometimes no information is better than poor information...

Dead weeds move the fish. There's just not enough oxygen around dead weeds. This time of year, in my opinion, you need to fish edges and transitions. Banks with a shelf that drops off into deeper water, rocks, transitions from large rocks to gravel and deep weed lines that drop off into deeper water...where the weeds still hold some green in fifteen to twenty feet of water. You'll want to use a full sink line with six to eight inch flies. Water is colder and they're making eggs right now. They're looking for large slow moving baits. If you find one good one now, fish the area hard. Larger pike school up at this time of the year. You might find four or five good fish in an area 100' by 100'.
There is more useful information in this post than you could ever ask for... Spots are meh and things change... this information should be understood and applied wherever you go... figuring out which lakes have pike is simple as going to the DOW website and finding the lake reports.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I knew spinney was closed already so I missed out on that and I have never fished 11 mile before. I also live 5 minutes from quail lake (when I'm on leave in Colorado). I plan on returning to Colorado the week of Thanksgiving and I wanna try for pike. Do anyone think it will be to cold or possibly frozen by then? Last I know most pike lakes are in the northern side of Colorado, but my goal was to stay local with quail lake and if I have to 11 mile...is antero closed already??

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
no pike in Antero...I don't believe it closes. Late november can be tough for pike in CO. What's weird is late Novermber is when it starts getting goooood in NM. I wonder about this. Anyone care to shed some light on that? Perhaps I am just wrong about the CO fish.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Martin Lake at Lathrup State Park has Pike. Walsenburg is a easy drive South on I-25.
I used to rent canoe's from Peterson AFB to fish there.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
And Horseshoe across the street had/has Tiger muskies and lots of structure...beautiful views...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'm banking on ice fishing 11-mile the day after thanksgiving :)
Might be a titch early for the mile. I know that me and batman fished Aurora on November 23rd 2008 during the Broncos/Raiders game. Broncos lost 31 to 10. Can't quite remember, but I think z might have been there in his boat. Froze up that night and was completely capped on the 24th.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Water temp yesterday at Atown was 51...

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Might be a titch early for the mile. I know that me and batman fished Aurora on November 23rd 2008 during the Broncos/Raiders game. Broncos lost 31 to 10. Can't quite remember, but I think z might have been there in his boat. Froze up that night and was completely capped on the 24th.
Day after thanksgiving was 3.5" of ice last year, the day before thanksgiving it was OPEN, and the ranger made sure to inform us how crazy we were, but we gladly popped holes for everyone who showed up with long rods expecting open water fishing :)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Day after thanksgiving was 3.5" of ice last year, the day before thanksgiving it was OPEN, and the ranger made sure to inform us how crazy we were, but we gladly popped holes for everyone who showed up with long rods expecting open water fishing :)
Haha..I'm one of those guys that likes at least 5 inches.. 6 inches of ice or more is even better..have fallen through once in my life and that was enough...never want to do that again. I was at the mile last year early in a cove on the south side..the ice inside the cove was a solid five inches..went out past the point where the wind could hit it and the ice was an inch at best. If there had been any snow on the ice, I would have never noticed. Went from good to bad in just a few steps. Be careful.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Haha..I'm one of those guys that likes at least 5 inches.. 6 inches of ice or more is even better..have fallen through once in my life and that was enough...never want to do that again. I was at the mile last year early in a cove on the south side..the ice inside the cove was a solid five inches..went out past the point where the wind could hit it and the ice was an inch at best. If there had been any snow on the ice, I would have never noticed. Went from good to bad in just a few steps. Be careful.

Spud Bar

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess it will be a game day decision for fly fishing late November anywhere haha and hobie I agree with you about winter 100%!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I fish for pike a lot. Best time with the long rod is in the spring when most pike will gravitate to shallow water bays to spawn. It can be as early as ice off and up through the first two weeks of June. They can be finicky in the spring so plan on multiple trips during that time of year. It has been my experience that not all fish are acting the same this time of year; some spawning sooner and some spawning later. Lots of times they won't even look at a fly when spawning, but other times they will attack with vengeance. It only takes a few days to a week for a pike to do their thing, and then they will need a few days to recover, but soon after they recover they go on the chow. Spring is the most challenging time of year for them in my opinion because they act so differently day to day. Late fall would also be a good time to huck flies at them too. Give it some time and I'm sure you will have those days where you say to yourself "That was badass"..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts