Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short ice season in the Metro area really has been a bummer for me, cus I really do love the hard water. So I packed up the 4 runner and hit one of my favorite lakes in Colorado. Parked @ 7:00, had my 1st fish by 7:30. Ice getting on the East side was Sketch, people were getting wet, But the lake conditions are the best I've seen in the past 6 years or so. Minimal snow on top, 12-14inches of ice, no wind, in fact, I never put on my coat the whole day. Fished 7:30-12:30 in 47 ft of water. Caught 18, biggest was 21in. Nonstop action the 1st 2 hours, most fish were suspended, or wouldn't hit till they chased it half way up.

Tube jig, Shad, and silver buck shot did all the damage.

Kept 2 19 inchers to try Bigassbassman's fish cake recipe

We ate one fillet before putting the rest in the fridge, got to say, was the best tasting laker I've ever had! Never seen pink Laker meat before, (seriously! but definitely hanging for a great joke :)

Storm and wind started to roll in, so I bolted. Couldn't believe there was already traffic on I-70 @ 1:45! Drove 4 hours + fished 5 hours = a great day! Not ready to put the auger away yet :thumb:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
No joke, the pink meat is better tasting. Depends on what that fish ate as his main food source. Open the fish's mouth and look back at his throat/gills. You can tell by the coloring back there if the meat will be white or pink. :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thinking about taking my bro-in-law on Saturday the 21st. Think the edges will still be okay? We rather not go swimming! :) and would you like to guide us? We will pay in beer. ha ha

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thinking about taking my bro-in-law on Saturday the 21st. Think the edges will still be okay? We rather not go swimming! :) and would you like to guide us? We will pay in beer. ha ha
Catfishking can guide you there. Since he doesn't drink beer, I will take the payment. ha ha

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
40 and 20 for the next few days few days up there...if Creek had 6 inches of ice those temps wouldnt hurt it...as Hobie said there is 6 more weeks of ice fishing up there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts