Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still catching up on old posts, but want to keep my ice reports up to date... (This was today)

Hit the new Safeway gas sation (in Estes Park), met Jim in the dog park parking lot, hit McDonalds, then road up into the snow/cold..

Maybe 3/4s into the first mile, I'm dragging, huffing, and puffing (wearing 13 layers, and dragging a sled w/ 575 pounds of ice gear isin't easy). Jim says "Moose!" I think he's just trying to get me to walk faster... till I look ahead...

Now I'm stoked to see one Moose on the same path as me, but there's two!

Real happy to see two Bull Moose, but then they start to fight! ;D (Jim in front of them)

Seeing the wildlife was exciting enough to keep me hiking for awhile, but the last quarter mile was tough!

I always think the outlet makes a good picture..

Glad to have made it to the lake

Jim was the first to score w/ this Giant :D (still pretty nice to be on the ice already)

We each got into the Brooks, I lost a really nice one in the hole :'( but, that will motivate me to get back up there ;D

I released all mine, Jim released a few and kept a few for dinner.

Seeing the sparring Bulls, getting out and hiking, and catching hardwater fish a couple weeks before Thanksgiving would have already made for a great day . . . however, I was hoping to see the Moose again on the way out (we didn't fish long)

I was not disapointed, and now there were 2 Cows and another male!

not the best pic, but shows the two females

same deal, only shows 3 Bulls

Awesome day on the ice!

I've iced and posted on this lake, a couple times a winter, for years now. It's one of my favorite places to ice. Every time I post though, I want to be sure to thank this site, and namely brook king. He posted ice fishing reports on this lake quite a few years ago.

Thanks brook king!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: Nov 15, hkd a cpl mls, iced Brookies, & shared path w/ 5 Moose Thanks brook king

I like warm.. don't like skeeters.. don't like freezing.. no ice fer me! But great post. Love the moose. 10" brookes.. not worth freezing to death! I will enjoy VICARIOUSLY!

JW

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Re: Nov 15, hkd a cpl mls, iced Brookies, & shared path w/ 5 Moose Thanks brook king

nice dude, i love seeing them moose, i end up seeing quite a few of them on the way up to my haunts pretty often, heck i have seen em standing in the parking lot of the hotel i stay at when i walked out the door before... nothing like coming eye to eye with something that stands at least 6ft tall.. :D

·
Registered
12,554 Posts

Wow that is awesome! Great pics!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts

Perfect 10 mang!!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

Awesome pictures, James. I've never seen moose up there and I've been many times. You've got the timing on that place down. In Jan., Feb. and March there is way too much ice and usually way too much wind up there.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Sweet !! Thanks for the photos

Crk

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

I am calling bull....... ha!
Cool pics!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

That looks like a once in a lifetime experience, seeing the two Moose fighting.
Awesome pics and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts

Welcome back James. Good to see your pics again! Nice looking brookies, and very cool Moose pics. I'm sure you know, but be careful with those dudes! I have been charged by one during their rut. The can get a bit pissy! Again great stuff!

Jim

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

Awesome..and a nice Moose too!!

D.J.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

Neat, James. I have a favorite spot where I've seen moose (in CO) almost every visit. I've had a bull walk by like he owned the place (which I guess he does!). I've seen mother & young 40 feet away. But I've never seen two bulls face off like you did. Happy for ya'! Nice last pic.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

very cool and looks like you got some exercise, be careful around those moose, I have been charged twice.

·
Registered
193 Posts

james, nice pics looks like alot of fun. We will have to get out here soon!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

Awesome pictures James. Seen a cow and two calf moose last week hunting 4th season south of Gunnison.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Wow, that is too cool! I've seen about a dozen moose out here but haven't run into a bull yet, let alone two... sparring! You sure see a lot of wildlife.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts