Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Craigslist daily. There are deals to be had this time of year no matter what your price range! Be ready to deal with needed repairs and winter storage issues -- hey, that's why people are selling now. ;D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If anyone ever has to replace a transom, this product works great. I helped a buddy replace his transom and used it. Just pull out the old wood...we had to use an electric chainsaw, and then it's mix and pour after placing the fittings. Will never rot again. Solid as a rock.

https://www.transomrepair.net/

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Had a boat a lot like that one in the eighties and ninties...Did a whole lot of water skiing and fishing. Jim is on the left...Bryan on the right. Most stable boat you can find. Hard turns ...slides and stays flat. Had a lot of fun in that boat.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Interesting Hobie. I grew up with a Larson tri-hull that was a few years older than yours. I’m guessing your photo is very early 80’s. My folks had a 1974 - 1700 Shark. Lots of good memories of that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Pretty cool. They were solid boats. Very kid friendly. Mine was a 74 1650 Larson Shark.

Have some great memories. Once, a bunch of my friends wanted to go fishing on Memorial Day. I mean a bunch. I thought five would be in the boat, but two friends, brought friends. I was the only guy they knew with a boat.

So, we went out fishing. Memorial Day is always good for fishing. People are sunburned, tired, dirty and packing up, ready to go home by Memorial Day.

Anyway, we're out on Pueblo and the rangers come driving up. Couldn't really blame them. Seven guys fishing in a sixteen and a half foot boat. Gotta be a violation there somewhere.

Well sure enough, the ranger boards the boat. She checks the fire extinguisher. "Not charged!" she said. I had another. She starts counting life jackets. Six adult jackets and two child. Uh oh. I hadn't accounted for the two friends of friends that came along. "One jacket short." She says, and then proceeds to runs wants and warrants on everyone in the boat and also checks our licenses. Some of you may remember this particular female ranger from Pueblo. Anyway, she writes me a ticket for $35 dollars. "Go get another life jacket." She says, as she pulls away.

Now, my buddy Lou says. "No biggie. seven of us, five bucks each." But, my buddy Chuck replies. "Nope! Dave. Your boat. Your problem."

We kept fishing and about an hour later, Chuck needs to pee. So, we pull up to midway island and he hops out. You can all see where this is going. He walks up the bank. While, I back out into the lake. He finishes up and shouts. "Hey! Hey! Come and get me." I simply reply. Nope. Sorry Chuck. My boat. Your problem." "I've got ten!" He yells. "Your five and mine." He's waving the money in his hand. I went and picked him up. After all, Cheap as Chuck always was. He was always a friend. And the story was well worth five bucks to me.

Oh, I've got a ton of stories. But they say, storytelling is for old men..

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
That’s a fun story. I sure would have guessed your boat newer than that.

I have so many good times in our old Larson that it’s hard to pick just one.

But i will. Like the year i graduated high school. Dad let me and one friend take the boat to Horsetooth. I’m not sure how it worked out that way, but it was us two guys and about 10 cheerleaders. And a huge rainstorm came up. And we were all inside under the full covers.

Or all the trips to Lake Powell. And heading straight into the tour boat wake and having it wash right over the bow. I thought it was great fun. Looking back I probably should have been terrified of that.

Or the trip up to steamboat lake when i was probably 6 years old and dad walking on the side of the boat to cover it, and slipping into the water. I thought that was the funniest thing ever. My grandmother was on that trip now that I think about it. That’s one of the few memories i have of her as she passed early.

Not sure if all that makes me an old man or not.

But it does make me appreciate being a boater. And also makes me want to smack the jackwads who make the “two best days in a boaters life” comments......

They don’t understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Mid island

Thanks a great story. Why I tried to keep Byron happy with his boat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts