Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the video of Mr. Shiller, a VP with NPR, with persons who identified themselves as members of the Muslim Brotherhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd9OYJMX9t4

And it led to the resignation of NPR's CEO, Ms. Shiller (no relation to Mr. Shiller), today and a strong move is under way to stop the 10% federal funding of $90,000,000 yearly to NPR.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Even a centrist like myself can't stand NPR. Does it fill a need? Perhaps. Should it be federally funded when it has a clear political bent to much of its programming? Probably not.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
>:D I did agree, however, with this comment from the NPR exec on the video ~

"The current Republican Party is not really the Republican Party. It's been hijacked by this group that is ... not just Islamophobic but, really, xenophobic," Ron Schiller said in the video, referring to the tea party movement.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The Tea Party has just taken politics back to what the Democratic party was in the 50's and early 60's. I think if you compare policy from then it is quite in line with todays Tea Party positions.
Check before you jump on that soap box and say I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:

"The current Republican Party is not really the Republican Party. It's been hijacked by this group that is ... not just Islamophobic but, really, xenophobic," Ron Schiller said in the video, referring to the tea party movement.
There ya go! That's whats so great about this country, everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how wrong it is.

What I don't get is why on a personal level the tea party doesn't have more general support from the people. I mean, are we all not just sick and tired of the corrupt politicians on both sides of the isle? Are we all not sick of all of them just putting up a front for the American people, while laughing at us in their offices? Seriously, on both sides. At least the tea party, for the most part, is telling the republicans that they are sick and tired of the way they have been doing business. And that they need to return back to their values in which made them republicans in the first place. Now, only if the democrats would figure it out as well, and demand better from the people they elect. Maybe the democratic party could seem a little more respectable.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
The Tea Party has just taken politics back to what the Democratic party was in the 50's and early 60's. I think if you compare policy from then it is quite in line with todays Tea Party positions.
Check before you jump on that soap box and say I'm wrong.
With the exception of the tea party isn't spitting on our vets when they come home from the war.

Isn't if funny how the democrats cried and cried about Bush and his 500 billion deficit spending, but find it acceptable for Obama to be adding to the deficit 3 fold of what Bush did.......

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

And homophobic. And misanthropic. And misogynistic. And racist. And arachniphobic. And religious. And claustrophobic.

Oh, the humanity!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Well, it took two passes, but they all rose to the bait. :D

Sometimes this is just too easy. >:D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Even a centrist like myself can't stand NPR. Does it fill a need? Perhaps. Should it be federally funded when it has a clear political bent to much of its programming? Probably not.
Centrist...if that is the bait I am taking it! HA HA! ;D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I like NPR and IMO they have some very good programs. While I don't agree with federal funds endorsing ideologies that might be in line with the comments Mr. Shiller made, it's also too bad that we accept the sort of "journalism" that exposed some of his feelings. If anything, maybe the only good thing that comes out of this whole affair is that it could bring NPR back to the center...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
De-fund it..simple. If it makes it on its own, more power to it; if it doesn't, then that's the way it should be.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll especially miss the British comedy shows. ::)

As far as Ken Burns? I would bet he's already in contract negotiations with the Discovery Channel. And National Geographic already has its own channel. The rest, let them get advertisers/pledges to fund it. Think NPR will soon find out that when they lose the popular shows pledges and advertising will dry up too.

With satellite TV, the old adage about rural television coverage is mute.

Welcome to the market place NPR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts