Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't really know how to do this...

I have to start this w/ a sad note (I may post more on later when I get more pics)

On September 18th, I lost one of my best friends and fishing buddies..

He was a member on here. He never posted, but had gone to a couple of get-togethers (from this site and others), and I know some of you have fished w/ him. He often fished with JWurgaft, BOTTOM FEEDER, and I.

I met him, playing hockey in Boulder not long after moving to Colorado. Will had also recently moved to this state, from Lousinanna. We played on the same team for several years (until he was unable to play), and also fished and snowboarded together. He stood in Kara and my wedding, and my wife and his became friends.

He was born w/ a liver disease, and after waiting his whole life for a liver, his condition got bad enough for him to be bumped to the top of the list. He recieved a transplant on Monday September 13th. His body accepted the liver, but he passed away less than a week later (September 18th). Will would have turned 25 November 1st..

Rest in Peace Will

Sorry for that, However, it was really nice to get away from everything with my wife and kids for a mini trip after losing someone we thought of as family...

The night before we left for Steamboat, I recieved a txt from Brian/catfishking of a bunch of nice sized Kokes. Without going too much out of the way, I could hit this spot.. (I was leaving first thing in the morning, my family was following after Isabella got out of school)

Brian gave all the info I needed to get into the Kokes, including the exact spot.. :-[ ;D
So.. I left real early so I could sneak through the park w/out my pass (I had left it w/ Kara)

It was a nice peaceful ride through Rocky Mountain

[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/jamesfs/001-1.jpg

Where the fire had been..

Made it to the lake early (but would find out, not early enough)

As I pulled in the guy next to me, was excited, saying they're catching nice sized Kokes down there! (there were two other guys there) That guy didn't stay long, and I think left skunked. One of the guys he was talking about. I would find out later was none other than Lake1177 (Ed).

I started tossing lures, and had a small Northern follow in a pink Tasmanian Devil. Later I had a Koke hit a silver/pink Kastmaster, but lost it on a beautiful leap. After that, no action.

One of the guys walked to the point across. The other guy and I started talking. Real nice guy, even gives me a jig that he had caught some of his Salmon on (he had quite a few nice ones).
Lake1177"s basket

I told him my buddy Brian had sent me a pic, telling me of the action. he smiled, and asked me what I thought of his sweatshirt? Now there's no one else around, and some guy's asking what I think of his sweatshirt ??? I'm pretty sketch, but being it's a Colorado Avalanch sweatshirt, I have to tell him I think it sucks :D He laughs and says "You're James arent you?" he recognized me from here, and had talked to Anthony/kokeneeking about the bite the night before ;D I've read Ed's posts for years, and it was really nice to meet him.

Ed lost a really nice male Koke that had to be close to 24 inches.. then left later.

The other guy came back, and started catching. (In my defence, he had the only spot where they were still porposing)

After he landed a few more, he started packing up, and brought some gear to his truck. I started moving closer, but not crowding ;)

He came over, and introduced himself as Mike. He asked what I had thrown, and asked me to join him at his spot. Then insisted I use one of his spoons.. (I told him, I didn't want to risk losing someone else bait, but..) Then showed me his technique. Little did he know, that I had already tried to match what he was using (I could see it was a spoon), and was trying to mimic his reeling speed and pause/twitches.. ;)

Now remember, I was told of the bite, the spot, and what to use by Brian, had been given a jig that worked by Ed, and was now given a producing spot, and spoon by Mike.. Pretty embarressing, and there was still a chance I wouldn't catch.. :-\

Third cast, and fish on! and off..
Within 10 more casts, I landed a decent Kokanee (Thanks Brian, Ed, and Mike :-[) Still glad to get one though ;D

I should've washed it off before the picture.. (this was the closest I've came to being skunked while wearing my Fishful Thinker viser)

After finaly landing one, I took off, still having a drive ahead of me..

Later checked in to one of my favorite places.. The Oak Creek Motel

We would stay there and fish around Steamboat and the Flatopps the next 3 days (I'll have a couple more reports from there)

Thank you catfishingking (I caught one this day, but had a lot better day a couple days later)

Very nice meeting you Lake1177, looking forward to your ice reports :)

Also, thanks to Mike (I ran into him again on my last trip to same lake. He's not a CF memeber, but I'll e-mail him a link to this report)

To Be Continued . . . ;)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Re: Oak Creek Motel (the trip, Kokanee fishing, meeting Lake1177, & wildlife pics)

Really, really cool stuff James....my condolences on the loss of your friend. Gorgeous pics...looks like nice weather as well.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Re: Oak Creek Motel (the trip, Kokanee fishing, meeting Lake1177, & wildlife pics)

Great report James!...(that flag has to go)...ugh!...sorry about your friend...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts

That's really tough James. Good friends are hard to find, and much harder to lose, but I can hear how blessed you feel, by having had him in your life, and I know you'll remember him forever. I truly am sorry for you, Will's wife, and your families loss.

Dave

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

Sorry about the loss of your friend, James.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Thanks for the report, James. I'm very sorry about your friend. It really stinks that people have to wait for a transplant until they are sick enough that the transplant may not save them anyway. I wish he could have gotten that new liver years ago.

Glad you were able to get into some kokes. What was the date when you were there? I assume it was a while ago if there were still some golden trees and you were in your short sleeves.

·
Registered
832 Posts

My condolences on the loss of a friend.... :(

·
Registered
879 Posts

Great report James, as usual! Being a Red Winer fan, I can now understand why it took three different people to help you catch one fish ;D.

My condolences to you and your family on the passing of your friend. Good ones are hard to find. and even harder to loose.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

Sorry about your lose James :( :( So young
Sweet report as always man.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

Great report, James.

I'm really sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
394 Posts

That's really tough to lose a good friend!

.. but .. it's good to have you back on here and posting your great pictures and stories (and even responding to my lame posts)!

JW

·
Registered
3,897 Posts

Rest in peace Will.

Real nice lookin' koke! Great pics too, tight lines.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

Nice report and pics. Great to have finally met you, and fish a little. The kokes were on fire at the crack, slowed down just before you arrived. They were still around, but lockjawed a bit. Always the case, 'eh? Should have been here two hours ago, lol. Or the day before. Been there.
Sorry about the loss of you friend, that is always tough to get thru, memories will last a long time.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

Sorry to hear about the friend James..and before 25, wow, that is terrible. Even though it might not be appropriate to say it after that, but nice report/pics.

D.J.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts